Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds7 with a hoarse voice

(18 Posts)
mandmsmummy Wed 20-Nov-13 20:51:55

Just wondered if anyone has experienced this with their child? Ds7 has a husky voice and when I asked if it hurts he says a tiny bit. But he's had the husky voice for a few weeks now. I'm a worrier so wanted to get some advice please x

mandmsmummy Wed 20-Nov-13 21:52:21

Bump please x

FoodieToo Wed 20-Nov-13 22:27:44

Hi, two of my boys had a hoarse voice for months on end. In fact one of them was hoarse for a year or longer.
I put it down to them being very loud !!

It went away eventually. I would say don't worry too much. Sinister growths on voice larynx are very uncommon in kids as far as I know.

mandmsmummy Wed 20-Nov-13 22:32:48

Thanks for replying. He's not himself at the moment, tearful, defiant, but generally well. His voice is so husky bless him. What ages were your boys? X

FoodieToo Thu 21-Nov-13 00:03:08

One had it age 3 or 4.
The other had it from about age 5. He is 7 now and really only in the last year did his voice sound normal.

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Nov-13 07:53:48

Strange, my son is 7 now it's such a worry it seemed just 'happen' x

FoodieToo Thu 21-Nov-13 11:10:03

I read a lot about it at the time. It appears vocal cords can be strained after an illness or just from overuse.
And that it can take weeks or months for them to return to normal.

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Nov-13 16:01:13

Thanks foodie x

mandmsmummy Thu 21-Nov-13 21:10:43

Have to be honest I've googled hoarseness in children and it's come up with some horrible things like cancer, panicking now x

greencybermummy Fri 22-Nov-13 12:05:00

Ask GP for ENT referral. They will check nothing sinister. A referral to Speech and Language Therapist would then be made for advice and support to discuss strategies for not straining vocal cords/voice.

mandmsmummy Fri 22-Nov-13 12:36:26

Seen GP today won't refer to ENT, wants to try steroid inhaler instead. X

mandmsmummy Fri 22-Nov-13 12:38:53

Could it be something sinister then? X

mandmsmummy Fri 22-Nov-13 13:33:51

If anyone else has experience of this I would appreciate the advice x

greencybermummy Fri 22-Nov-13 23:37:32

Very very unusual in children to be sinister. Always wise to get checked tho. Adults should always go via ENT if hoarse voice for an extended period of time.
Is child shouting lots in playground? Throat clearing a lot? Hope inhaler helps.

mandmsmummy Sat 23-Nov-13 06:32:33

I assume they r shouting at playground, yes to clearing throat. Xx

Furball Sat 23-Nov-13 07:29:12

Just to say that ds7 in mn speak - means your 7th son

If you do really mean ds7, then apologies.

But if you wanted to say your second son who is age 7 then it's ds2 (7) smile

Furball Sat 23-Nov-13 08:08:08

Sorry totally inappropriate thread for my post.

Huge apologies and hope your sons throat is better soon smile

mandmsmummy Sun 24-Nov-13 08:31:19

No worries furball! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now