Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you bother a GP or am I being neurotic?

(15 Posts)
DeathByLaundry Fri 15-Nov-13 08:22:23

DD (3yo) had a bug which started about 9 days ago. She was fevery, sleepy and generally washed out and not eating, which is very unusual for her. We had a few days of sleeping with her and lots of Calpol and she started to cheer up earlier this week.

The things is she's not really bounced back. She is sleeping loads and loads, (2.5 hour nap yesterday), bright and perky when she wakes but then really tired out again within a couple of hours. She's been tearful and has had to be carried on the half mile walk to school, which she normally manages effortlessly. She also really isn't eating properly (a few mouthfuls at each meal and perhaps a piece of fruit each day) and is looking kind of skinny now.

She's upstairs just now giggling and whooping but I'm pretty sure we'll have tears about the walk to school and she'll be exhausted when we get back. Am I just being impatient? I'm torn between letting her rest and actually encouraging her to keep mobile and active.

Roshbegosh Fri 15-Nov-13 08:25:35

I wouldn't go to to doctor but would let her rest. Can you keep her home in her pyjamas for the day? She doesn't sound ready to be back at school if she isn't eating and has no energy.

DeathByLaundry Fri 15-Nov-13 08:26:57

She has had a week in pyjamas! Unfortunately although she doesn't go to school her brother does so she has to go out. And it's just a short walk, fifteen minutes max each way. It just isn't usually such a drama which is odd :/

Pancakeflipper Fri 15-Nov-13 08:28:03

I would let her rest. Then if no better see the Dr.

Hassled Fri 15-Nov-13 08:29:17

I'd go to the GP for a check up. It probably is just post-viral exhaustion - I know sometimes it can take weeks before you're yourself again, even when the symptoms of the original bug are long-gone. But you're clearly worried, and that's a good enough reason to go.

kelda Fri 15-Nov-13 08:30:05

I would go to the pharmacy first and ask about anything she can take over the counter to help her recover eg. enterol if it was a stomach bug/vitamins.

Let her rest and do nothing this weekend, encourage her to drink plenty of water and eat whatever she wants.

Then see how she is on monday.

yegodsandlittlefishes Fri 15-Nov-13 08:32:11

People so often underestimate how much rest is needed after a virus to fully recover. It can take weeks. It is really important that she rests, and let her have a ride when she needs to. Her behaviour is typical. Do not be tempted to think she needs the exercise, she will have plenty of time for that when her appetite is back and her weight is back. Being underweight means she will be low on stamina. I'd keep her off school at that age to give her some extra rest and tempt her with snacks for a day or two, until she's eating and has more energy. but unless she is in pain (or has other symptoms of illness) I personally wouldn't be taking her to a doctor.

yegodsandlittlefishes Fri 15-Nov-13 08:32:57

Yes, chewy vitamins are another good idea.

Clowdy Fri 15-Nov-13 08:33:08

Maybe try a children's tonic to build her back up and improve her appetite. Ds2 is like this after an illness and a week or so on a tonic like Minadex usually sorts him out.

Sirzy Fri 15-Nov-13 09:35:03

Do you not have a buggy still you can use for the school run?

Is she drinking normally? Weeing normally?

(oh, and its Friday and she is 3 - give her today off and see how the weekend goes!)

DeathByLaundry Fri 15-Nov-13 09:45:19

Thanks for the replies.

She was whiny on the school run today although not as bad as she has been and she walked all the way. She's looking a bit tired now so we're skipping swimming today. She takes vitamin D anyway but 'll give her some multivitamins for a few days and see how she is next week.

I am so so sick of DVDs!

DeathByLaundry Fri 15-Nov-13 09:47:18

She's drinking and peeing as usual. She's basically normal but tired, grumpy and a bit inappetant. It's just taking so long to get better.

DeathByLaundry Fri 15-Nov-13 09:48:12

Oh and no buggy. But we've had no buggy for a year!

Seeline Fri 15-Nov-13 09:48:41

If she hasn't eaten properly for 9 days she is going to tire very quickly. I'd go down the 'little and often' route of whatever she fancies for a couple of days just to boost her energy. Don't worry about whether it's particularly healthy at this stage. Let her sleep if she wants to - that too will help build up energy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now