Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My DD isn't well

(25 Posts)
Twirlychair Thu 14-Nov-13 16:52:20

She had some bloods done today and was in hysterics.

I'm worried.

Stomach pain. Not bowels or stomach according to gp. One spot when touched is agony.

It's the not knowing.

pudseypie Thu 14-Nov-13 17:42:26

Can't offer any advice but hope the doctor sorts things out soon and finds the cause. Horrible when your dc are ill. How old is dd?

Twirlychair Thu 14-Nov-13 17:48:40

She's 11. It's abdominal pain which I was putting down to hormones. But it's been every day for the last couple of weeks.

Bloods are back tomorrow and she's to go back on Monday.

pudseypie Thu 14-Nov-13 18:20:41

Will they tell you the bloods results tomorrow or do you have to wait till Monday? Did they give any clues at to what it could be?

Twirlychair Thu 14-Nov-13 19:34:31

According to ex and her, no clue as to what it could be, except that it isn't bowels or stomach.

I've to ring in the afternoon for the results - the nurse said it was testing for inflammatory markers (?), infection, liver function, kidney function and some other stuff I can't remember

She's not been able to eat her tea she was in so much pain. She has had 1/4 of a home made chicken goujon, half a lettuce leaf and about a teaspoon of beans.

Totesamazeballs Thu 14-Nov-13 19:41:46

And the have ruled out appendicitis?

Twirlychair Thu 14-Nov-13 19:56:00

Apparently so, according to my ex.
She's in pain and it will ease in an hour or two and then she's fine until the am and eating her breakfast.

pudseypie Thu 14-Nov-13 20:10:57

I hope she gets some sleep tonight and the results are quick to come in tomorrow. If it's one spot then hopefully the gp has an idea of what it might be?

Twirlychair Thu 14-Nov-13 20:15:12

I think that's the idea.

I am going to ring the GP tomorrow and talk to him because my ex is just a bit useless and he hasn't asked half the things I would have asked and now I've googled I am starting to panic a bit.

kerala Thu 14-Nov-13 20:20:10

I am not in any way medically trained but my DD had abdominal pains, was in screaming agony then it would go and come back up in the night etc. We were really worried, and ended up taking her to hospital as she was in so much pain (my mum took her and she is definitely not one to do that lightly). She was admitted and doctors almost took out her appendix. It went on for over a week pains coming and going. Has to be said DD is not stoic so would make a right old fuss whenever she was in any pain. It just went away on its own eventually and the doctors thought it might be this:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Mesenteric-Adenitis.htm

Twirlychair Fri 15-Nov-13 17:51:55

All her bloods are normal. I have to take her back to the gp on monday. I don't know what else to do at this point with her she is hysterical at the thought of food.

pudseypie Fri 15-Nov-13 18:31:05

oh i'm sorry the bloods didn't give you a result. Is she opening her bowels ok? The pain isn't constipation or wind?

Twirlychair Fri 15-Nov-13 18:55:39

Bowels ok. Doc checked them yesterday. She is now at the point if I mention it she's having a screaming fit.

pudseypie Fri 15-Nov-13 20:23:39

Oh poor girl. Is she still drinking fluids? Will she be ok over the weekend?

pudseypie Fri 15-Nov-13 20:26:53

Oh poor girl. Will she still drink fluids? Will she manage till Monday for the doctors?

piratecat Fri 15-Nov-13 20:31:57

Mesenteric adenitis?

dd has this two yrs back.

here?

Twirlychair Fri 15-Nov-13 21:02:54

Gosh I think it could be that. She has hazard a teeny bit of pasta for tea. She is drinking though. Currently she's on the sofa with children in need

forcookssake Fri 15-Nov-13 21:43:07

FWIW when I was twelve I had this set of symptoms and it turned our to be an ovarian cyst, which they did not even consider looking for, due to my tender age-it therefore was able to get very large and ultimately twisted the fallopian tube, requiring removal of that ovary and tube.
My twelve year old self was not too fussed in the end but as a woman who is currently unsuccessfully TTC, I would ask if she could perhaps have an abdominal ultrasound, our failing that, to consider this explanation?
Clearly, strangers online cannot diagnose, but your post resonated with me and I can remember so well being repeatedly sent away and being a good stoic child...
All the best for your DD.

piratecat Sat 16-Nov-13 06:33:40

my dd had that last year.sad
though who knows now thinking about it if the mesenteric adenitis wasn't another ovary cyst. e
dd had the bleed thing where her ovary grew huge and twisted the tube.
it was two weeks of pain. i took her to a and e and got a scan.
i wish you well trying to conceive. x

piratecat Sat 16-Nov-13 06:40:04

dd had a folice within her ovary that haemoraged. it wasn't one on the outside.
it caused the ovary to swell. she was at risk of losing it but it went down after three weeks. it too twisted the tube.

just wanted to clarify it more. she did keep the ovary.

piratecat Sat 16-Nov-13 06:42:28

dd was 9 i think for the adenitis and 11 with the ovary.

Golddigger Sat 16-Nov-13 17:11:24

How is she now op?
Has she had any other ops for anything, or has a history of something?

I have noticed in threads like this over the years, that it ends up being something to do with what a patient has already got or has already been through.

piratecat Sat 16-Nov-13 20:37:40

how is she op?

Twirlychair Mon 18-Nov-13 19:47:04

Well we were back at the doc today. He's given her omeprazole. He thinks she has a stomach ulcer. He's referring her to paeds.

pudseypie Mon 18-Nov-13 20:14:29

Oh gosh a stomach ulcer? I had one of those about 15 years ago, quite painful and some foods can make them hurt more. Hope the meds help and you get a paediatricians appt quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now