Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vomiting up a dose of nurofen!

(6 Posts)
Cheeka Sat 28-Sep-13 16:12:57

6mth DS has a cough and temp of 38.5. I just tried giving him a dose of nurofen but he gagged coughed and then vomited. I gave him the 2.5ml dose in smallish amounts over 2-3 mins because he had just sicked up and that's when I noticed his temp. What would you do? Give nurofen again? he had a 2.5ml dose of calpol at 12.30 which I gave because he seemed unwell but at 15.30 he sicked up some milk and that's when I noticed his temp had gone up. This is when I gave him the nurofen which came back up. This may be because of his cough- he gags when he coughs... He is now on boob and dozing. His twin sister had similar symptoms a couple of days ago but without the vomiting. She seems to be getting better...Should I just wait and see how he goes?

Dilidali Sat 28-Sep-13 16:26:47

Don't give any more nurofen! You don't know how much is still in.

I can't remember the dosages for such a small baby, but at one point I had to alternate nurofen with paracetamol. Call boots or tesco with a pharmacy and ask to speak to a pharmacist smile

Cheeka Sat 28-Sep-13 16:28:14

Ok thanks Dilidalli

Lottie4 Sun 29-Sep-13 08:57:21

If you are able to express milk, you could always mix it in with that. My daughter hated Calpol and Nurofen and would refuse it under she was about seven, and times we managed to persuade her it came straight back up.

We had to deal with any temperatures by having her in a short sleeved top, and one cotton cellular blanket loosely over her and have the windows open (even on a cold winters night).

WoahNelly Sun 29-Sep-13 09:01:38

Ibuprofen can irritate the stomache, try a paracetamol based analgesia instead

MousyMouse Sun 29-Sep-13 09:03:51

suppositories!
they work really quickly and can't be vommed up again.
call the chemist if they have them in stock, some don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now