Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd1 age 8... high gamma GT levels - she doesn't drink much alcohol ...

(5 Posts)
lescoxienelles Fri 27-Sep-13 17:59:43

wink she doesn't drink any at all !!

To cut a longish story short, she was very poorly for a week or so, sickness, total fatigue (infact she hardly woke for 4 days) back at the end of August. Dr did some tests (question gluten issue) and other bloods. The gluten came back clear but the blood results showed her liver functions S.G.O.T & S.G.P.T levels very high (gamma gt was normal). Another blood test 2 weeks later confirms an old mononucleose infection E.B.V. The S.G.O.T & S.G.P.T results are back to within the norms but the Gamma Gt is now twice as high as two weeks ago confused I can't seem to find much info for high gamma levels in children, all seems to be related to alcoholisme sad
Monday morning she is having a liver scan done...

Any experiences or ideas of what could be going on? Going to be a long road until Monday!

cestlavielife Fri 27-Sep-13 22:20:33
lescoxienelles Fri 27-Sep-13 22:52:54

Thanks... kinda hoping it's not as serious as a liver disease. !

LatinForTelly Sat 28-Sep-13 00:16:58

My DS had this for over a year, a few years ago now. He does have a medical condition, although this seemed to be unrelated. He had a couple of ultrasound scans which showed the liver seemed to look normal, and blood flow was normal.

The next stage was going to be liver biopsy, but his gastro was understandably cautious about that.

In the end, they kept monitoring, and they came down very slowly. In fact, his last blood test showed they were still twice the upper limit, but his gastro said this was 'nothing to worry about.' I was a bit [hmmm] but I do trust this doc, so I went with it.

My DS has been on a very high dose of anti-reflux drug (omeprazole) since he was 6 months old, and one doctor reckons it is this. The gastro maintains 'the pattern isn't right'. (My DS, too showed v high levels after a bug.)

Is your DD on any medication which could cause this?

I hope you get some answers and/or the levels come down soon.

lescoxienelles Sat 28-Sep-13 08:35:19

She's not on any meds for anything... did a little more research on glandular fever last night and it can effect the liver so think it may just be this... thanks for your reply and I hope things continue to go well for your son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now