Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When to see doctor re toddler's cough?

(3 Posts)
AveryJessup Fri 27-Sep-13 07:41:14

My nearly 2 year old DS has had a cough for the past two weeks. He picked it up when we traveled to visit home, probably the damper climate, unfamiliar germs, flying etc.

He seemed to be over it a couple of days ago and just had a post-viral dry cough but yesterday and today he has been coughing with phlegm again and has a runny nose with green snots. Is this a new cold or the old one lingering? If it's a lingering cough, when does it get serious enough to go to the doctor? He's tired and a bit grouchy but not lethargic, not sleeping longer than usual and has had no fever.

cathpip Fri 27-Sep-13 07:52:16

My dr told me yesterday that they don't like to give antibiotics for coughs unless they have been on going for 3 weeks, my ds has the same problem but he does have mild asthma. If you are worried and think he needs something, go and just elaborate a little on the length of the cough and how your ds is getting distressed by it.

AveryJessup Fri 27-Sep-13 15:20:57

Thanks, catnip. I was thinking of leaving it over the weekend since I won't be able to get an appointment anyway and then calling the doc on Monday if he's no better. That would be nearly 3 weeks he had it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now