Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Frequent high temperatures

(7 Posts)
pudseypie Mon 23-Sep-13 22:23:54

my ds 22 months always gets a very temp of 40 degrees with anything. We are used to it now. My dm says my db was the same.

fattyfattybumbum Mon 23-Sep-13 21:43:53

Hmm, thank you both, that's strangely reassuring, although I'm sorry your dc get this too... I've not checked for a uti, although I could do that quite easily as I've got some test strips from when I had a run of kidney infections.

It's just so anxiety provoking, and irritating, because I know he's basically going to be out of action for 2-3 days each time...

steppemum Mon 23-Sep-13 21:30:56

I have 3 dcs and my youngest really gets temperatures. She too has had a temp this weekend. Older sister has a gippy tummy, (no temp) but dd2 had just the temp and it was 40C.

She even spent a week in hospital aged 18 months as her temp just kept going up as soon as the calpol wore off.

I feel much more laid back about it now, I give her calpol, and that usually brings it down.
I only worry if the calpol or ibuprofen doesn't work

thinkofthemoney Mon 23-Sep-13 21:18:24

An opus? I've no idea where that came from.
I get so anxious...

Forgetfulmog Mon 23-Sep-13 21:17:51

He hasn't got a uti has he? Dd has just had one & the only real symptom was a high temp

thinkofthemoney Mon 23-Sep-13 21:17:49

My ds is exactly the same, high temp every few weeks when his older sister never did this.
After a particularly bad run we did find he had a urine infection so always worth getting checked out. I think some dc are just more prone to temps and picking up every virus going. I get so an opus with every temp though, it's hard isn't it?

fattyfattybumbum Mon 23-Sep-13 21:14:30

Hi,

just looking for some advice really. My ds has just turned 5. Ever since he was a baby his temperature has shot through the roof every single time he catches any kind of cough or cold or virus. I've got 2 other children and the way his body reacts is different to my other children...

Sometimes he seems to get a high temperature for no apparent reason, it will last 2-3 days with a temp of 39-40, but with no other symptoms. When he was younger this would happen every 2-3 weeks. things got better for a while, but we're back to every 3 weeks again. Poor thing just feels so rotten... He's clearly caught a cold, sniffing etc, but his temp is 40 again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's children have experienced this; is it something I should take him to the Dr about or will he grow out of it? tbh I'm a little sick of being dismissed by the Dr... if I didn't have the other children I'd just assume this is how kits are when they're ill, but I know it's not, he just seems to react so extremely...

any advice would be really helpful, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now