Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

panicking about dd and her ear infection

(10 Posts)
used2bthin Sun 22-Sep-13 20:46:07

Dd has had an ear infection for over two weeks, her ear drum burst and then the first lot of anti robotics seemed to work initially but towards the end of the course it started weeping again and had a terrible smell. She is now four days into a stronger anti biotic course and a spray directly on the ear. I think it looks a bit better but it still smells. Also she is complaining of noise in that ear. She has autism and the noise really bothers her.

She also has reduced immunity due to a genetic condition and is in hospital a lot. If the ear looks bad still tomorrow I will call the gp, or if it still smells awful but I am panicking about it having just seen a really sad story about a girl with an ear infection which turned into meningitis and wondered if anyone has any experience of ear infections that smell? She's had several infections and burst ear drums but never the smell.

used2bthin Sun 22-Sep-13 20:47:02

Anti biotics not robotics of course!!

rubyslippers Sun 22-Sep-13 20:48:25

If you're worried now seek
RL medical advice - don't wait until
Morning

ExcuseTypos Sun 22-Sep-13 20:50:25

Has she any other symptoms- a temperature for example?

If you are really worried phone 111 tonight.

My dd had numerous ear infections, they're horrible.

Hawkmoth Sun 22-Sep-13 20:52:12

I agree with seeking advice tonight. There's no doctor in the land that would complain about you looking for help with a serious ear infection in a child.

at least the robots have gone

I had an ear infection and chest infection in June. I'm still getting weird noises in my ear and it's grim.

used2bthin Sun 22-Sep-13 20:53:07

Thanks for reply. I have nothing as yet to ask though really as it does look a bit better so I think I need to wait and see if she gets pain in the night or anything.so far she is in bed,seemed well today and it looks cleaner than yesterday just not completely resolved due to the smell but even that is better. I suppose I am wondering about others e experiences and if it takes the full course to clear it up etc. Just worrying I think.

used2bthin Sun 22-Sep-13 20:55:17

Sorry x posted!

No temp now, she did before the anti biotic though.

Ha ha I think she'd like a robot or two!

Oh I really hope the noise goes soon it is really distressing her.What are the noises like?

ExcuseTypos Sun 22-Sep-13 21:05:16

Glad she seems a little better.

I'd definitely phone the drs in the morning and ask advice about the smell and the noise, if they are still there.

Hope you both have a good nights sleep.

used2bthin Sun 22-Sep-13 21:17:06

Thanks. I wonder if she always gets the noise with infections as her communication is very delayed maybe it's the first time she's been able to say rather than t h e first time she's had it. But I will definately ring them tomorrow even if she seems well still, thanks.

used2bthin Mon 23-Sep-13 08:20:23

She slept through for the first time since this started so I think she's feeling a bit better. Got appointment Fri to see if the ear drum is healed but going to ring for a phone appointment today anyway I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now