Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Joseph's last thread? Here's hoping...

(807 Posts)
Trazzletoes Tue 17-Sep-13 20:47:13

My now 4 year old DS, Joseph, was diagnosed with stage 4 high risk neuroblastoma last October. It's a particularly aggressive cancer with an 80% relapse rate. Long-term survival statistics are not great.

Joe has had 8 cycles of chemotherapy, an operation to remove the main tumour, stem cell harvest, high dose chemotherapy and stem cell transplant as his bone marrow was destroyed, 3 weeks of radiotherapy and now 5 1/2 months of differentiation therapy and imunotherapy.

In April we learned he had relapsed and so had a 5% chance of ultimately surviving. Then, the relapse spontaneously un-relapsed but we don't know for certain what this means for his future. Whether its good or bad news.

He remains bright and cheery and gorgeous throughout.

ToffeeWhirl Tue 20-May-14 00:58:58

Just spotted this. Wonderful news, Trazzles. Am so, so happy for you, precious Joe and all your family.

smile

sandgrown Tue 20-May-14 01:07:48

Only just read your thread but what lovely news. Good luck for the futurex

ChipsRedWhite Wed 21-May-14 11:50:41

That's brilliant news!!

LiberalLibertine Wed 21-May-14 11:56:02

So fantastic flowers excellent news

weebarra Wed 21-May-14 13:44:26

Wonderful news!

Badvoc Thu 22-May-14 14:06:11

Do happy for you dear trazzles grin

ajandjjmum Thu 22-May-14 23:01:09

Just brilliant! smile

lougle Thu 22-May-14 23:33:29

How wonderful!

ClockWatchingLady Fri 23-May-14 12:23:47

Lovely news! smile
Thanks for updating us, Trazzles.

LatinForTelly Sun 25-May-14 00:06:18

Fantastic news, Trazzle! I hope his eating picks up soon, and that you all have a wonderful summer.

saffronwblue Sun 25-May-14 00:10:33

Such happy news!

DianaTrent Sun 25-May-14 00:24:52

So pleased to hear of Joseph's progress, it's fantastic. Really happy for you! grin

Fivemoreminutesmummy Tue 27-May-14 19:45:25

I can't believe it's been a year! Very happy for you all and thanks for updating.

I love reading these updates smile

barefootcook Thu 29-May-14 08:45:41

Hey Trazzle. Hope you have a relaxing summer. Have you found a school for Joe yet?

ShiftyFades Fri 20-Jun-14 16:06:05

Hi Trazzle, I haven't posted for ages and haven't updated myself on Joe's progress since December. I am so glad he's doing so well, as you are.
I've just realised that I was in DisneyWorld at the same time as you - gutted I didn't get a chance to give you a hug.

I hope Joe continues as he has been, onwards and upwards smile

apermanentheadache Fri 20-Jun-14 18:17:59

me too. Hopefully now he has his line out you can do lovely summery things like swimming in sea etc.

CoteDAzur Fri 20-Jun-14 18:25:03

Great news! Very happy for all of you, Trazzles smile

Lovely update. School, swimming and softplay. Super Joe gringringrin

So pleased for all the Trazzles Trazzle.

I hope that you've managed to find a little bit of your own groove too.

Trazzletoes Tue 22-Jul-14 10:03:49

Hi, sorry I've only just seen some of these replies.

Yes, Joseph is due to start Reception at our most local Primary in September. It's a one form entry so nice and small. The school has additional funding to care for him all sorted now. They are really seeming to be great with him.

He's been coming on leaps and bounds recently. He's using the toilet more consistently and there's an end in sight for nappies. He's eating better. He still has his tube in his nose but again, there's an end in sight. He is walking well though still tired easily. But he's alive. He's well. His 6 month scans came back clear. He is doing so well and getting stronger every day. He's amazing. I love him.

A few weeks ago we went to an event in the city centre and there was a giant inflatable slide. There were loads of kids on it and J was adamant he wanted a go. His time was almost up and he hadn't been able to climb any of the netting to get to the top of the slide. He was in tears because he couldn't do it. I have him a bit of a shove and helped him up as far as I could reach ( not very far) and he hauled himself up the rest of the way. He cried the whole way up, partly because it was really hard on him physically and partly because he was scared. But he made it. I was cheering him on, as we're complete strangers who were willing him up as well! His face as he came down the slide - he was so proud of what he's achieved. And so he should have been. Most 4 year olds could have done that easily, but it's another reminder of how far he has come.

Shifty sorry we missed you sad

RainbowInACloud Tue 22-Jul-14 17:19:40

Lovely update, so glad to hear he's doing well. What an achievement for him- determined little chap.

barefootcook Tue 22-Jul-14 22:05:23

Wonderful news Trazzle. Sounds like everything is progressing well for Joe. It will be exciting for him to start school. Please let us know how he gets on. Good to hear that the school has some extra funding too. Enjoy the summer.

Tholeonagain Wed 23-Jul-14 20:50:11

What a wonderful, brave little boy. Thank you so much for the update xx

apermanentheadache Thu 24-Jul-14 22:04:17

That's effing brilliant. Am so pleased. I think about you often.

CorporateRockWhore Thu 24-Jul-14 22:09:21

Ah, I love that about getting up the slide! Go Joe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now