Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flu vaccination

(53 Posts)

Dd2 has been offered the new flu vaccine nasal spray. I'm at this moment in time unsure as to whether to accept or decline. Mainly because its so new and side effects can include wheezing and high temperatures. Dd1 is asthmatic so obviously the thought that dd2 could have this jab and become wheezy and hospitalised does scare me.

I regret my decision to allow dd1 to have the swine flue jab as she was very ill within days of receiving it and I do not want to make the same mistake again.

So, any positive stories and warnings of side effects you believe were caused by giving your children the vaccination would be gratefully received.

I'm not after debates on vaccinations both mine are fully vaccinated but I do hope you can understand my hesitation.

TIA

Ginformation Wed 18-Sep-13 23:25:11

Anyone who wants to check this out for themselves, then look up the 'green book' which available through gov.uk. This is the DoH handbook for all immunisations. It is a truly riveting read wink

The nasal vaccine is live attenuated so there is potential to transmit flu to immunocompromised (eg on chemotherapy, some types of cancer, some inherited diseases affecting the immune system, HIV not stable on medication etc) individuals for 1-2 weeks after vaccine. People with normal immune systems are not at risk.

"Children aged six months to under nine years who are in clinical risk groups and have not received influenza vaccine previously or are being offered inactivated influenza vaccine for the first time should be offered a second dose of vaccine. All other children should receive a single dose of influenza vaccine, including those receiving live attenuated influenza vaccine, irrespective of whether they have received influenza vaccine previously."
(so if in a risk group a child who has never had the flu jab in previous years would need 2 flu injections, 4 weeks apart, or 1 nasal vaccine)

"The live attenuated influenza vaccine (Fluenz®) is not recommended for
children with active wheezing at the time of vaccination or severe asthma (BTS SIGN step 4 or above)* because of limited safety data in these groups."

*BTS/SIGN guidelines for asthma are googleable, but the BTS (British Thoracic Society) website seems to be down at the mo. Step 4 refers to 'persistent poor control' often these are the asthmatics who are under consultant care as the regular arsenal of inhalers/medication are not keeping things under control.

Still awake after reading that?!

Sirzy Thu 19-Sep-13 05:35:38

Thank you gin

Yes thank you Gin

I think gone jab will be best for us. Mainly due to the transmission risk. Even if dd1 isn't at too much risk I'm afraid due to recent poor health my DM might be.

Thank you all for helping with the decision.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now