Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick advice please re ds swollen testicle

(14 Posts)
BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 19:03:36

Ds is 6 and just came out of the bath and we noticed one testicle is swollen and very veiny / bluey looking and the other is maybe shrunken but not sure if this is just in comparison to the other iyswim? He doesn't say it hurts and obviously it's possible it's been there a few days.

Bit worried - wwyd? Also worrying about in case it's a malignant tumour sad

RippingYarns Sun 25-Aug-13 19:14:32

i'd make a call to OOH/NHS direct tbh

it could be nothing, but also a torsion - twisted testis - which can have serious implications if it's left a long time

no pain is a good sign though

valiumredhead Sun 25-Aug-13 19:15:51

I think seek advice asap too.

Hassled Sun 25-Aug-13 19:17:14

DS1 had a testicular hernia no less than 3 times between the ages of 4 and 6. On each occasion, the affected testicle was the size of a smallish satsuma. Requires minor surgery - in and out in a day. So yes, go see the GP but please don't panic.

BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 19:17:56

Ok thanks all waiting on call back from NHS

purplepippin Sun 25-Aug-13 19:23:00

My ds had testicular torsion he had no pain and we only noticed when he got out of the bath. I would take him ASAP to get it looked at, we were lucky as a very good a&e doctor picked it up and we were rushed to a children's hospital for emergency surgery and so the testicle was saved with no future damage.

BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 19:29:38

Ok thNks

BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 19:30:44

What did the surgery entail?

RippingYarns Sun 25-Aug-13 19:43:54

DS had a very sore, swollen and painful torsion

a very skilled consultant was able to manipulate it back into it's rightful position shock

DS was very grateful but has never spoken of it since blush

BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 20:40:14

Thanks he has an appointment at ooh at 10 - poor boy is fast asleep sad dd (2) has also just woken up being sick so it's all fun here tonight.

BeaWheesht Sun 25-Aug-13 22:59:42

Thanks for all the advice - Dh was saying I was worrying over nothing so nice to hve you all 'backing me up'.

Doc reckons its hydrocele, shone a torch on it and you could see all the fluid so he is to see our own GP tomorrow and get a referrl to paeds for a scan / treatment. Does anyone have any experience of this?

valiumredhead Sun 25-Aug-13 23:33:44

My friend's boy had that, very quick op and was right as rain. Didn't even stay in over night iirc.

ClaimedByMe Sun 25-Aug-13 23:37:50

If he does get any pain straight to a&e, it could twist in the fluid and cut off circulation and he can lose his testicle, the time frame is 6 hours to save the testicle.

I have a one testicled son I am not trying to scare you but they are the facts.

RippingYarns Mon 26-Aug-13 04:17:35

Sorry I missed your update OP

glad you did get some proper advice, he'll be right as rain soon enough.

Hoping DD is ok too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now