Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Totally freaked out, just found pubes on my 5 year old dd

(112 Posts)
treadingwater123 Sun 04-Aug-13 18:40:28

She's a baby sad !!!!

IceAddict Wed 07-Aug-13 23:08:36

Someone I know has a daughter of 7 who is experiencing this have a chat with gp

LauraChant Wed 07-Aug-13 22:57:04

I have something that would make xylem explode. My mum once helped me put a tampon in aged 13 when I wanted to go to a swimming party but couldn't manage the tampon.

The first time I got drunk aged 17 she helped me remove on.

She is a social worker.

BoozyBear Wed 07-Aug-13 22:35:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kelly21 Wed 07-Aug-13 22:17:12

Some things shock me if my 8 year old asked me to look at her i would she's not going to know if it needs a doctor or not my dd is 3 and i look at her bits whenever she's in the bath discreetly obviously when i had my daughter i thought i had an infection but couldn't service with a mirror midwife asked if there was anyone else who could check so i asked my mum because she's my mum lol lucky she did i had to go the hospital it not wrong

Ihaveranoutofsteam Wed 07-Aug-13 20:35:04

Xylem - You sound suspiciously like Marietta Higgs, and as many will know that did not end well

I would be seriously concerned if you were a HCP working with children. You are the type of person who makes the most normal parents feel as though they are doing some wrong.

Scruffey Wed 07-Aug-13 15:25:15

Xylem you are being very silly. My friend's ds, at the age of 18 years old, said "look mum I know it's gross but I am terrified that there is something really wrong with me down there, please will you look for me". She did look at his genitals to help him out. Some sort of rash or something. - do you think I should report them for incest?! Or could you accept that she was just helping him? Just as the op is helping her dd?

Op - either see another gp in your surgery or re register to a different one in order to get a referral to a paediatric unit.

hellymelly Wed 07-Aug-13 13:59:21

frogwatch I completely agree with you. You articulated what I was also feeling really well.

frogwatcher42 Wed 07-Aug-13 10:05:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Nocakeformeplease Wed 07-Aug-13 09:54:19

xylem8 this is the girls mother not the next door bloody neighbour. You honestly sound insane.

Zhx3 Tue 06-Aug-13 23:45:20

Not an adequate response from the GP, IMO. They should be checking whether is is precocious puberty, or premature adrenarche, as true precocious puberty might need treatment.

OP, my dd had the following tests done:

1. Ultrasound scan of womb and kidneys to check for tumours on adrenal glands or advanced development of womb
2. Blood test (poor dd) to check hormone levels

She has premature adrenarche and will be seen by the consultant 2-3 times a year until she reaches age 8 or so, when puberty can be classed on the young side of normal. I've been told to tell them immediately if she starts to show any signs of bleeding or breast development - the other symptoms, such as pubic hair, underarm hair or increased body odour, are increased sensitivity to the sex hormones (sorry, I'm paraphrasing the consultant), but not indicators of true puberty.

It's a shock, but do push for a referral, for your peace of mind.

hellymelly Tue 06-Aug-13 23:37:06

Crikey! didn't realise putting a bit of cream on a sore patch of my small daughter would cause such a storm. Thanks all for sticking up for me. Rather stunned that anyone would think she should have been doing this herself "years ago"...how many years I wonder? I also have a six year old dd who is prone to getting an irritated vulva, she has sometimes needed to see the GP. If my dds weren't comfortable discussing their bodies with me, and want me to look at it if something is feeling painful to them, then needing a GP to check it would be pretty stressful . It is really hard to look at your own vulva properly! Never mind to get a blob of nappy rash cream in the right spot. How can it be ok for my GP, a relative stranger, to do this, but not her own mother? What if I was a nurse? Its very silly. Glad it was only one poster. My 8 year old can't tell the difference between being a bit sore and something that might need to see a GP.

chubbychipmonk Tue 06-Aug-13 23:34:50

Ffs Yoni..ever heard the phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all!'

Hopefully the GP can help you OP.

rusmum Tue 06-Aug-13 23:34:06

My dd had first pube at 6, now has a whole crop at 9. They were blonde but darkening

cocolepew Tue 06-Aug-13 23:27:33

Definitely push for a referral op. My eldest DD had a condition that can cause precocious puberty, so I always kept an eye on her. She showed no signs until about 11 whereas DD2(who doesn't have the condition,) started puberty at 8.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 22:18:13

I wish I had a Mother I could have gone to with worries or concerns like this. You sound lovely all of you bar the ridiculous paranoia of one poster.

PoppyAmex Tue 06-Aug-13 22:14:18

Forgetting the cream situation, would you not routinely check your child's body for moles/freckles/rashes or any worrying changes?

DD is only 16months, but I fully intent on keeping an eye on my child's body/development as her health is my responsibility.

firsttimemama Tue 06-Aug-13 22:07:40

You won't be missed xylem8

Just marking place as I feel invested in the op now x

mymatemax Tue 06-Aug-13 21:17:54

bully for you Xylem to have such able children at such a young age. Many do not.
Some cream really should not end up anywhere other than the intended area & need adult application.

I find your posts rude, unkind & unhelpful.

My 12 year old DS showed me a spot on his genitals yesterday that was sore. He wasn't bothered, but I could have done with some warning. I was eating toast at the time.

xylem8 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:12:09

Ok well I'll take my massive issues and disappear then smile

Ignoring the insanity on this thread (because it is insanity), did you manage to get a new appointment with a different gp treadingwater? I hope you get some progress soon.

BaldricksTurnip Tue 06-Aug-13 21:08:10

xylem8 I think you have massive issues. Your thoughts are of no benefit to anyone on this thread, let alone the poor OP who started this thread to get help and advice.

xylem8 Tue 06-Aug-13 21:07:38

why on earth would you think your DC couldn't do it themself at 8!!!
I guess it is down to the way you have been brought up.Different boundaries etc.
Can somebody answer me 'why' they would want to put it on their 8 yo.Supervising I could get (at a pinch) but not doing something so intimate that they could easily do themselves?

Because I couldn't see it. I was 10, why would I care?! It didn't even occur to me not to ask her to do it. Nothing to do with me wanting her 'touching my fanjo' hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now