Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sleep issues age 6

(3 Posts)
servingwench Sat 27-Jul-13 23:11:52

My 2nd dd is 6 and I am really starting to become concerned about her sleep. When she gets to sleep, she's fine, sleeps through and wakes at about 7am. But it takes her until gone 10pm to get to sleep, every night. This has been for the last few years! It used to be 9pm but the last few months it's got later. We have always had a good bed routine: milk, bath, stories, bed. But she just can't turn off. She is physically active in the day and it seems it's her brain that won't stop.
Apart from it being annoying (as we often have to go up to her for one reason or another) I'm worried this will eventually affect her health or learning. She's doing really well at school at the moment and is physically well, but I do think this isn't good.
She is very strong willed and can be difficult to handle at times....otherwise she is a very sweet girly.
Would going to the Dr be a waste of time? Anyone else had/have similar issues?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 28-Jul-13 16:26:08

My Dd is the same. She's 9 now and still takes a long time to switch off unless I watch her diet VERY closely. I don't allow her to have any processed food if I can help it and no biscuits or even crisps after 3.30 or so.

It really helps her...so I only give whole foods for her snack and supper and she's fine. I let her have milk or water to drink but nothing like juice. I think she's very sensitive to sugars...I atually noticed when she was about 18 months old and had some red jelly and flipped her lid an hour later.

Lucyadams184 Tue 30-Jul-13 12:17:29

As said above I would watch her diet and also turn the telly off at 5 pm. I would try going for a walk before bath time to try and exhaust her a bit more. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now