Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Clicky hips advice please

(9 Posts)
Cordial Wed 24-Jul-13 23:13:02

Hello GP picked up that dd has clicky hips (both sides) at her 8 week check and has referred for scan. We received the appointment today not until October ! She will be 5 months then... I had really thought they tried to check hip issues much quicker than this to avoid long term damage. Am I over reacting or should I be querying the wait/ looking at the options privately? TIA

Sherbey Wed 24-Jul-13 23:44:46

Hi, hope you are OK? We had the same problem so know how you feel. When our DD was referred with clicky hips we were told we would have an appointment within a few weeks. After waiting and chasing, we decided to have the scan done at a private hospital (appointment was within days) and once the problem had been confirmed we were treated very quickly on the NHS.

We were told DD's hips were "bad" (good to hear!!) but after a few months in a pavlik harness, all was fine. Only my opinion, but I do believe the treatment was reduced due to the problem being treated early.

Hope all goes well x

Morepeasplease Thu 25-Jul-13 12:12:34

You really need a hip scan ASAP. Dislocsted hips are easily treated with a Pavlik harness but this has its highest success rate if used before six months when bone starts to become calcified. After this it becomes more likely that a spica cast will be needed. You need to insist on a scan urgently. (Bear in mind though that not all clicky hips are dislocated!!) good luck!

Cordial Thu 25-Jul-13 18:33:14

Thanks folks glad to hear I'm not being neurotic! I'm wondering how I try to push the NHS first, perhaps a GP appointment?

Where did you go privately? Do you mind sharing how much scan was roughly? We are in the process of putti g DD on DH private medical but I think that will come too late for covering this.

Sherbey Thu 25-Jul-13 21:30:15

We asked GP to refer us to local private hospital who called the next day with an appointment. The cost of the scan and an appointment with the consultant was around £200 (although this was a few years ago now).

Cordial Thu 25-Jul-13 23:53:30

Thanks Sherby smile

LittleMonks11 Fri 02-Aug-13 20:41:08

Please try to get an earlier appt. Our DD was referred on the postnatal ward when she was 1day old, and she was in a Pavlik Harness by the time she was 5 weeks old, for 8 weeks, for a mild left hip displasia. It worked and she's signed off now. I thinking waiting until she is 5 months old is not acceptable (them not you) as it needs treating quickly if there's a problem.

Why should this take so long? Our DD was diagnosed with clicky hip at about a day old and fitted with a harness a couple of days later (all on the NHS). After 3 or 4 months she was fine and the harness came off.

MiaowTheCat Fri 02-Aug-13 21:23:42

DD2 they had in for a scan by about the time she was 8 months old and then a follow up at 4 months even though she'd been given the all clear.

Doctor doing the hospital scan and appointments there just sighed and nodded when I mentioned I'd had severe SPD and reckoned it was my hormones that had caused her hips to be clicky initially and then to be fine by the point they did the scan appointments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now