Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

asthma in the hot weather

(9 Posts)
katydid02 Fri 19-Jul-13 06:17:53

DS has had a sudden flare up of his asthma, he's had his inhaler more times this week than he has all year so far.
The only advice we've been given is to keep the windows closed to keep pollen out, not to dry his clothes on the line and to keep his inhalers below 25 degrees.
Is there anything I can usefully do to help him?

monikar Fri 19-Jul-13 09:40:36

My DD has asthma. If he is needing a lot of ventolin this week it may be that he needs his preventer dose increased for when the pollen count is high. It is very likely to be put back to his regular dose when the pollen count lowers. I would check with the doctor or asthma nurse about this.

Sirzy Fri 19-Jul-13 12:39:52

Perhaps try an antihistamine incase the high pollen count is causing trouble?

DS is struggling a bit more than normal with this weather but his asthma is poorly controlled anyway.

SpockSmashesScissors Fri 19-Jul-13 12:42:53

I was going to suggest some antihistamine.

DS has Loratadine, you can buy it at the chemist.

katydid02 Fri 19-Jul-13 15:52:02

Thanks. We have some cetirizine in the cupboard, I'll try that

wallpaperaddict Fri 19-Jul-13 16:00:45

My asthma has been the same this week, taking an antihistamine has really helped. Hope your DS feels better soon.

LonelyLinda Sat 20-Jul-13 13:09:26

Hi there, my ds is worse this week than ever. He normally has seretide once in morning and once in evening, the asthma nurse has told me to double the dosage to get him through this tough spell and use ventolin when needed. He needed it through the night but it keeps him awake so we've been up since 2.

I think he's improving since doubling the dosage.

LonelyLinda Sat 20-Jul-13 13:10:13

I'm going to give cetirizine too actually, thanks for that.

katydid02 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:33:13

We saw the GP today - she listened to him telling her what was wrong and said she could tell it was hay fever from listening because she could hear the catarrh in his throat. His ears have been popping and so on.
We've got citirizine on prescription ("piriton is not much good") and a nasal spray; that's what she gives her son and it works a treat for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now