Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has DS just had a nightmare or could it be because he banged his head?

(5 Posts)
CalmingLava Wed 17-Jul-13 23:10:07

3yo DS has just been crying and shouting for the last 10 minutes or so, and I'm not sure if he was asleep?

He was relaying conversations that had happened throughout the day, such as "I want to sit next to so&so" (He went on a school trip today and was adamant he wanted to sit next to so&so).

He was also shouting "I want to go home" (he is home) and hitting me, and then he started biting himself. Nothing I could do or say could console him, and he was really in a state. I kept asking what the matter was and if anything hurt and he kept saying no, so I think he could hear/understand me, but I'm not sure if he was awake? He was writhing around a lot, and the laying on his back, with his knees bent, running his hands up and down his chest and stomach.

Then suddenly he asked for some water, stopped crying, had a drink and calmed down. He was then fine, but still fidgety, and said his ear & head were poorly. He's been complaining a tiny bit about his ear for the last 2 days and I've given him Nurofen twice, but he's had ear infections in the past and he's been in agony, not at all like he has been with this ear ache.

I suppose I'm worrying because he took a nasty fall today and whacked his head on a wooden climbing frame thing. He had a bump on his head for a while, which has now gone down.

Does this sounds like a typical nightmare? He's now fast asleep but still really fidgety. He's asleep in my bed, and he usually comes in to my bed during the night. He's never been a great sleeper but I've never seeing anything like this.

Sorry for the long ramble, I'm probably getting myself worked up over nothing!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 17-Jul-13 23:34:12

Could be night terrors rather than a nightmare, but I don't think the head injury is connected.

(

Footle Thu 18-Jul-13 19:01:05

Did you take his temperature ? Sounds as if he was delirious.

CalmingLava Thu 18-Jul-13 23:16:11

He had a slight temp, and it's been like that on & off all day. He's restless again tonight and his temp is 38.3.
I did think night terror this morning, things always seem much worse in the middle of the night!
I hadn't thought of him being delirious footle, would that be down to having a temperature? I'm sure the hot weather isn't helping!

Footle Fri 19-Jul-13 00:00:48

Yes if he was feverish that could account for it. Ring doctor if it happens again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now