Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

black mold between toddler DS's toes!!!

(39 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 17:27:17

Just took his sock off and saw this. It was the whole of the length of his toe between the one next to the big toe and the one after that.

Didn't realise at first it was mold - wiped it away with a baby wipe but nothing came off, then popped him into the bath and had a go at it gently with soap.

It is now reduced to two little black patches
around 2 by 4 mm each just in the crease on each side where the toe becomes foot iykwim.

Will ask tomorrow for GP appointment, but has anyone else seen this and if so what is the treatment?

I very much doubt it's actual mould. DS's feet are always minging and like hobbit feet . Ingrained dirt and often stinky (he gets bathed every day, honest!)

Has he been wearing new socks recently? Or dark sandals?

Pimpf Sun 07-Jul-13 17:33:22

It won't be mould! Probably staining from socks or sandals

OnTheNingNangNong Sun 07-Jul-13 17:34:21

Sock fluff or child ming. Not mould.

Theas18 Sun 07-Jul-13 17:37:11

Magic marker?

grin diagnosis of child ming

I would hold off making any appointments until/unless you are sure it isn't just muck of some kind.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 17:56:24

It really really doesn't come off though! And I think it's sore as DS doesn't want it touched but isn't bothered about the other foot!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 17:58:04

He only has very light grey cotton socks which have been washed loads of times and had a proper bath last night. Shoes are beige inside.

He's only 2 so doesn't get that sweaty yet, I don't think.

duchesse Sun 07-Jul-13 17:58:57

Why on earth would you take him to the GP because he's got an ink stain on his feet? If it's coming off with washing then it's just dirt, surely??

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:00:48

It didn't look like ink it looked like mold.

I should say I have form though as when DS was a baby I thought he had an infected yellow toe. It was actually a fleck of dried baby poo on his toenail blush

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:02:06

Should I really just wash more vigorously??

He cries if I touch it and says uh-oh uh-oh a lot (doesn't have many words yet).

It seems unlikely that it is mould. It's probably a stain from clothing of some sort. I'd leave it rather than scrubbing it any more and just wash him as normal over the next few days. DD's nursery dyed her arms grey once and it took a few days to come off. He probably doesn't like it being washed as it is quite hard to get between toes comfortably.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:26:34

Just spoke to DH who was there when I first saw it - he is very rational and not prone to seeing things. He is also pretty sure it is mold.

I am going to ask pharmacist tomorrow and see if there is an OTC cream we can use.

Mintyy Sun 07-Jul-13 18:28:27

A bruise?

Come on, its not mould. Are you in the US?

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sun 07-Jul-13 18:32:03

Could it be pen? He may be saying uh oh because he knows he shouldn't have touched the pen?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:37:39

Don't think it can be pen as he only has access to crayon.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:38:10

Can't see it being a bruise as almost all of it washed off.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:41:23

We are in the uk!

JoulesM Sun 07-Jul-13 18:48:52

Is the skin broken? Is it very painful to touch. Don't be put off going to ask an opinion if it doesn't wash off and is a black patch of broken skin btwn his toes. GP's would rather see you than not just in case.

WeAreEternal Sun 07-Jul-13 18:49:12

should have taken pictures for the MN jury!

I have never heard of black mould on feet, as far as I know it is not possible, unless it was transferred there from a wall, so it is extremely unlikely to have been mould. (I'm a HCP)

It's more likely to be a stain of some kind, probably ink.

Could it be a verruca?

hazeyjane Sun 07-Jul-13 18:51:48

Sorry to be foul, but does it smell? I think if it was some sort of fungus, it would smell pretty bad.

usualsuspect Sun 07-Jul-13 18:53:50

Has he trod on a pen?

I don't think he's gone mouldy overnight.

valiumredhead Sun 07-Jul-13 19:17:49

Sock fluff! Shove some savlon or Sudocreme on it tonight and check on the morning.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 07-Jul-13 19:24:04

Back - had dinner and now getting him to sleep. Once he's in the land of nod I'm going to take a photo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now