Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Severe abdominal pain in my 12 year old daughter

(66 Posts)
Castlecellar Sat 29-Jun-13 10:11:37

Hi,

I have not used this site before but I am at the end of my tether and am really worried about my daughter, I don't know where to turn!

My daughter is 12 years old and has been having severe abdominal pains. She started her periods in January so knows that the pain is different to the normal period pain (as if that wasn't enough, poor girl!). She has had two episodes, one lasting for 10 days in March/April and a current one which has now lasted a week.

The pain seems to move around her abdominal area and up the back, she describes the pain in her back as a knife trying to stab its way out and the stabbing pain can also come and go in the abdominal area. As well as this, she has an ache in her stomach which gets a lot worse when she is moving. During this current episode she has a lot of pain in her upper back too and around the rib cage on the front, she can't bear any pressure on the ribs or tummy. She is also describing the pain going in her hips and down into her thighs. My daughter is a big eater, she loves her food but is off her food with these episodes. She does drink, only water (when normally it would have to have squash in it!). She is also weak and feels like her eyes are going to close. When she does move around she says she thinks she is going to pass out she is so dizzy.

The first episode started in March, she had to have 2 days off school (most of the time was during the Easter holidays) and this time she has had 3 days off school so far.

The first time she had it I took her to the docs and they treated her for a kidney infection as she had blood and protein in her urine and after 2 days of taking the tablets she was better. This time, there are no signs of blood but there was protein, but it is most definitely the same pain. The docs have said that it is likely to be an abdominal migraine, which I had never heard of.

I took her to A&E yesterday morning as the pain was that bad, they did blood tests and checked kidney, pancreas and gall bladder and everything came back negative.

After doing some research, it says that the these migraines can last for one hour to 3 days but hers are much longer. Has anyone experienced any of this? I am sorry for rambling but I thought best to tell everything.

Thank You!!

Whataloser Sun 30-Jun-13 22:05:15

I'm not posting to scare you, I'm posting to support you.

But my dd had abdomnial pain and consultants were fobbing it off by saying all adolescent girls have abdoment pain. I said that wasn't a good enough reason.

I had to fight to get scans and exploratory operations as I wouldn't back down. My dd had cancer.

I hope I've convinced that one consultant to take more notice of a mother's intuition in the future.

Tigerblue Mon 01-Jul-13 10:35:18

It might be worth asking her to press on both sides of her stomach. If it's worse on the left, there's a chance it could be her appendix playing up. My daughter was regularly feeling under the weather and one day was noticeably worse with stomach pains which she described all over between her pubic bone and tummy button, and then she produced green sick. We took her into A&E and on examination (tummy being pressed) she was clearly in more pain one side than the other.

Again you (or she) presses on her tummy and it's more painful one side then that could be a pointer to a problem with her ovaries or something else in a similar area.

You know she isn't right. If you are having no look with the doctors, do keep taking her to the hospital via A&E - the time to have her looked at is when the pain is at it's worst.

Castlecellar Mon 01-Jul-13 14:00:22

Got the ultrasound for 3pm on Thursday! They said even if I went back to A&E , they would not see her before then. She keeps trembling now and goes deathly white, she was in the docs when she did it and he didn't seem too worried, I AM! Booked her in for a private ultrasound at 10am tomorrow morning, I think I'll have more confidence in a private hospital now. Although we can't afford to have any more than the scan done. If she goes funny again I will just call an ambulance.

Castlecellar Mon 01-Jul-13 14:01:21

Looking at ovarian cysts, it could be. Probably more so than gall stones which the doctor thought today!

RandomMess Mon 01-Jul-13 17:29:47

OMG why do they not take these things seriously.

Girl I know in RL was a large cyst on the outside of her ovary so no long term complications but it's size was making the fallopian tube twist which was what was causing the excrutiating pain.

It just gives me the rage especially when there could be long term consequences because they refused to take girls more seriously.

ExcuseTypos Mon 01-Jul-13 21:06:49

Castle, I'm glad you've been able to sort a scan out- even if you've had to do it yourselfangry

Good luck tomorrow.

MarshmallowFarm Mon 01-Jul-13 21:15:03

I had several episodes exactly as you describe when I was 14 - appendicitis was always dismissed as the pain wasn't in the right place, but of course that's exactly what it turned out to be - I saw loads of different doctors, umpteen tests then a locum GP decided to check white blood cell count in my blood and somehow diagnosed appendicitis from that. Your description of a knife sticking in is exactly how it felt.

Had a friend of the same age who had similar symptoms and hers turned out to be an ovarian cyst. IME young teenagers are not always taken seriously by the medical profession as everything is put down to "growing pains" or puberty.... please insist on a referral/further tests. Hope she/you get some answers soon x

Castlecellar Mon 01-Jul-13 22:20:22

Sounds awful but I do hope there is something on the scan tomorrow, firstly so it can be treated and make her better and secondly so I can say told you so! I have to say our local GP's have been much more proactive and understanding than A&E. I was relieved this afternoon that the scan was booked, now I'm feeling very very anxious. Need to try to sleep to be strong for her tomorrow

rundontwalk Mon 01-Jul-13 22:21:21

Came back to your thread today hoping you'd be further forward. Am grrrrr on your behalf! Nothing useful to add,but wanted to say what a fab mum you are smile

Castlecellar Tue 02-Jul-13 09:45:35

Back from the scan and it was clear, so not kidney or gall stones or cysts. I'm at a loss! Not sure what to do next. The pain on the car journey so was so intense she was gasping, she's still not eating and is feeling nauseous!

idiot55 Tue 02-Jul-13 11:25:16

That's good news , but wish they could find a cause. Can you phone your Gp?

Floralnomad Tue 02-Jul-13 14:03:19

I think you should push for some bloods to be done ( if they haven't already) if only to check for infection/ inflammatory markers ,so that things can be ruled out .

Madmog Tue 02-Jul-13 14:14:04

I know the pain is over quite an area, but do you know where it radiates from, ie is it worse over one side, in the middle. If it's worse on her left side, then it could be her appendix.

You know your daughter and if you know something really isn't right, then I'd be tempted to take her into a different A&E even if you have to travel.

Castlecellar Tue 02-Jul-13 15:57:59

OMG I am losing the plot! Went back to our local A&E and they were brilliant, gave her morphine got her seen by a doctor straight away. The doctor was the first one to examine her fully and said it was appendicitis. He made her hop on one foot and pushed both sides around her appendix.he also said that the appendix is really the only organ which can bounce around when in a car and cause that amount of pain. Also it was classic that it was treated with antibiotics in April to rear it's head again now! He got her transferred to our local paeds unit on to the surgeons ward.
She has been examined again to be told its not appendix! I am losing the will, just when we thought we had an answer. I just feel like breaking down! The doctor acted like I wanted her to have an operation but of course that's not the case, I just thought we had a fixable answer!

SoggySummer Tue 02-Jul-13 16:01:52

OMG - what an abasolute nightmare. SO where are you now? have they sent you home with no answers?

I would say "OK its not appencitis so tell me what it is please?" or " Tell me what you can test her for now because this extreme pain HAS to be something".

Wish I could do more to help you. Hopefully someone more medical than me or who know the system better can give you some advice.

Castlecellar Tue 02-Jul-13 16:07:56

The doctor at the new hospital said there was no way appendicitis would last 11 days??

ExcuseTypos Tue 02-Jul-13 16:26:53

You poor things.

Is she still in pain Castle? If so I'd take her straight back to A and E and say you aren't moving until someone finds out what is wrong with her.

If you have time, I think I'd be inclined to start a thread in AIBU. Something like 'Please help, I'm so worried about my DD' would gets lots of attention. It might just get someone answering who's been in the same situation.

Castlecellar Tue 02-Jul-13 18:38:31

Yes sent home again. They have done a test for helicopbacter which I will have the results for in 4 weeks with an outpatient appointment. He said send her to school and give her whatever she wants to eat! I'm not evil, she can have whatever she wants to eat , she just can't eat she feels too full up. She can't go to school , she is in too much pain. It's a 40 min drive back from the hospital and now the morphine has worn off she was in tears the whole time. The paediatrician said to prescribe omerpazole, which slightly concerned me as she was already on those and it was on her notes. He said to give it another week. I know these people are experts but out of 6 doctors we have been told, abdominal migraine, mid period cycle pain, gallstones, appendicitis, helicopbacter and acid ggggrrrrrrr

CinnamonAddict Tue 02-Jul-13 20:18:09

Please take her back to a&e if she is getting worse. It sounds an absolute nightmare. Have a brew and keep an eye on her.

ExcuseTypos Tue 02-Jul-13 20:25:21

I agree with Cinnamon, if she gets any worse take her back and insist she is admitted for observation. They cannot keep sending you away without any answers. They've seen her in acute pain they should find out what's causing it.

It's their job!

Found this and thought it might help you. With back, pelvic, stomach and leg pain it could be nerve related.

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 02-Jul-13 23:33:01

I'd also start keeping a log of who you are seeing, when and what they are saying. And I 'd make it known that you were doing that. It's awful that you have to get arsey to get any answers but you are your daughters only advocate and it doesn't appear that anyone is giving you the time you need at the moment.

Good luck

notapizzaeater Tue 02-Jul-13 23:41:10

I'd take her back, my hubby has appendix and because they didn't believe that's what it was he ended up in a bed for 3 months whilst they kept running test after test, they eventually went in to have a look because it was Xmas and they wanted him out. His appendix had adhered to his bowel ....

Castlecellar Wed 03-Jul-13 06:22:51

What is the AIBU ?

Whataloser Wed 03-Jul-13 06:57:45

AIBU is am i being unreasonable it's a thread subject that has a high flow of traffic so someone will be able to answer.

If anyone thinks its appendicitis say you want to have the appendix removed, that they routinely remove it in boys if they have stomach pains even if no evidence if its not appendix. And once they are in there, if the appendix is not inflamed could they take the opportunity to look in surrounding area to see if they can see the cause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now