Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please reassure me

(12 Posts)
IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 10:38:26

i know illness is part of growing up and sometimes it feels relentless etc but I'm getting worried about my DS now.
He's 2.5 and since he was born has caught everything going. Been in hospital twice for IV abx (once for breast abscess and once for mastoiditis) and has had surgery for grommets at 18mo. He has had chicken pox twice and now has got hand, foot and mouth for the THIRD time. This is in addition to another long list of other viral illnesses.
I am forever having to ring and tell people we have been out with that they may have caught something from DS. Lots of my friends have children of same age and none are like this - not at all.

I am aware this is bugger all compared to having a child with serious illness so I apologise if I seem whingy.

I have mentioned to gp before and I get a sympathetic smile and told it's all fine.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 10:43:18

I give him vitamins and he eats plenty of fruit (won't go near too much veg)

monikar Tue 18-Jun-13 11:46:14

Does he go to nursery? The reason I ask is that as soon as DD started nursery she was ill constantly with everything that was going around. I was worried silly - I was at the doctor literally at least once a week and in the end I became embarrassed to be showing up at the surgery again.

I convinced myself there was something wrong with her immune system as other children didn't seem to get ill all the time, but same as you, the gp said it was one of those things.

To reassure you, my DD did grow out of it, but it was an awful worry at the time.

Pinklemon Tue 18-Jun-13 12:19:25

Give him some probiotics! They are available from Holland and Barrett.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 12:19:26

Nope, he goes to CM once a week. But none of her other mindees are poorly like him either.
Thank you for your reply. I'm just so fed up.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 12:19:56

And it has been like this since birth and he only started cm at 14mo

I would keep on at the Gp. That does seem excessive. Second vitamins, lots of super foods and probiotics.

MERLYPUSS Tue 18-Jun-13 12:46:45

I am of the (unfounded) opinion that you either get it or you dont. My twins are totally different. DT1 gets every cold going and it floors him for nearly a week. DT2 (who was scbu) is made of nails. He fights off colds overnight and chicken pox didnt faze him.
Once at school they were a lot better in the ocurrences of illness.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 13:43:43

Thanks all
I'm a bit loathed to mention to GP again as I'm thinking there's nothing they can do anyway?

They can test for anaemia ! Low iron could explain everything x

IcouldstillbeJoseph Tue 18-Jun-13 13:58:52

Thank you - I'll ask

DeWe Tue 18-Jun-13 13:59:43

Some children get everything, some children don't.

Dd1 has had chickenpox mildly, hardly ever been ill-she's missed about 5 days school in 8 years. Doesn't usually even get colds, she's the child who's still standing when the rest of the school is off with major sickness bug.

Dd2 gets little, although she complains a lot. She does get sick, but it;s more excitement/nerves than a bug.

Ds has missed about 20 days of school in 2 years, plus has had 2 sets of grommets, and likely to have a third, has been hospitalised with a sickness bug...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now