Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Do I need to bother a GP today?

(4 Posts)
smokinaces Mon 17-Jun-13 14:05:10

Thanks both of you. I think it was just the temperature with no obvious illness or pain that was confusing me - he has had ear infections in the past and god do you know about it when hes in pain!

He's eating fine, drinking fine, he's been to the toilet fine. He's honestly fine in himself!

monikar Mon 17-Jun-13 13:22:06

It sounds like a small bug to me - if DS is eating and drinking well then that is a good sign. As tobia said the temperature fights the bug.

I wouldn't contact the GP unless the temperature persists as this would suggest something else may be going on. My DC has had a febrile convulsion and so I understand how worrying and frightening they are. Febrile convulsions usually occur at the outset of the temperature and are due to the speed of it rising rather than the actual temperature itself.

It sounds like DS is on the mend - I would just keep an eye on him today - you will probably find that by this evening he is absolutely fine.

Good luck, hope that helps a little.

tobiasfunke Mon 17-Jun-13 12:32:36

To get a temperature when you're ill is normal. That's the way the body fights the bugs. He may have thrown up because he had a stomachy type virus and that would be why his temperature would be up anyway.

I would only contact a doctor if it was for a long period or it went up really high and stayed like that.

smokinaces Mon 17-Jun-13 12:01:43

DS2 is rarely ill. Had norovirus a month ago, been fine since. Stayed at his dads saturday night, bit subdued, red ear, no pain. had nurofen and was fine. Last night he woke, said he felt sick and made it to the bathroom (hes five) where he threw up once. Slight temperature. Fine today, eating well, drinking well. Slight temp that comes down with only 5ml of paracetemol. No pain. No soreness. Have checked ears, throat, tummy etc.

I'm presuming the throw up was in relation to the temp, but have kept him off school today just in case.

Do I need to contact the GP about the temp etc though? Can kids just get temperatures and fight them off? Only time we've really had temps in this house was when DS1 had tonsilitis that caused a temp, vomit and febrile convulsion and hospital stay so I'm a little wary.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now