Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds, nearly 6, no longer able to stay clean during the day.

(8 Posts)
amistillsexy Sun 16-Jun-13 20:30:54

Ds3 took a while to persuade out of nappies, but was 'clean' during the day by the age of 3.5, although he is still wet at night. Recently, he has been coming home from school with dirty pants, not a lot, just as though he hasn't managed to get to the toilet in time, and a bit has come out too soon (sorry, TMI!).

Then last week, there was more mess, and he actually smelt bad when he got home, so I started to make sure he'd done a poo before he went to school. This hasn't helped- he's still coming home dirty sad. He says he doesn't know he's doing it, that it just comes out without him knowing it. He says he doesn't have tummy ache, and he goes to the toilet when he wants to at school (and obviously at home, too).

Today, he has lost control twice, and made a big mess in his pants this morning, and just now, in his nappy, about five minutes after getting into bed (after going to the toilet before the nappy went on).

The fact that we can't get him dry at night is concerning enough (although, after reading threads on here, I'm trying not to make a big deal of it, and planning to spend the summer holidays making sure he drinks loads during the day, in the hope that he can stretch his bladder and train it to hopd enough to stay dry at night!), but this is a real worry.

He has no special needs, although his big brother has ASD, and he is not obviously poorly. Is there any explanation for this sudden regression/loss of control? Should I be taking him to the GP, or getting strict and monitoring toilet visits?

amistillsexy Sun 16-Jun-13 20:52:19

Anyone? I'm not the poo troll, honest! grin

BeaWheesht Sun 16-Jun-13 21:10:23

I'd be getting him a doctors appointment

HansieMom Sun 16-Jun-13 22:20:09

It sounds like encopresis. If his colon gets really full and packed, diarrhea can leak around it. You need to clean him out, then have regular sits after meals. Gastro colic reflex kicks in, it is a good time to try.

There are websites devoted to it. I know it must be awfully frustrating for you to have a six year old doing this.

One sentence I remember is a mother saying they would get started on a car trip and then there would be The Smell.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 16-Jun-13 22:24:59

Sounds like chronic constipation, you need to see a doctor.

NatashaBee Sun 16-Jun-13 22:25:45

What HansieMum said. The doctor may prescribe Lactulose or movicol to get the blockage out.

HansieMom Sun 16-Jun-13 23:39:53

I googled encopresis to see what is new and someone mentioned Buddy Bears Gentle Laxative. You might read up on it as people say how well it worked.

amistillsexy Mon 17-Jun-13 16:27:22

Thank you for all your advice.

I've been checking every morning that he's done a poo before school, and he does manage to do one every morning, usually of a reasonable size/shape, etc, and he says it doesn't hurt. Does this still fit in with constipation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now