Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD's second tooth has broken through behind first tooth - problem?

(10 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 16-Jun-13 16:50:28

DD is 6yrs, about to turn 7 in a couple of weeks. Not yet lost a tooth (last in her class!

She has had two vaguely wobbly milk teeth for ages, but nothing major, and her adult teeth have been forming/pushing through behind them. She now has a very wobbly milk tooth, and the adult tooth behind it has just broken through, at an angle quite a way from her milk tooth.

Everyone I have spoken to with children older than DD have all said 'oh this is good, waiting that long to lose a tooth makes the second teeth stronger <blahblahblah>' but, someone said a few days ago that if it waits too long, the adult teeth can come through, and stay crooked. And then, Lo and behold! One has broken through.

I had thought/hoped that the second tooth would sort of naturally push the milk tooth out, and form straight into the gap, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Should I be concerned? Can anything be done if I take her to the dentist? She is due her next check, so I am going to take her anyway, but what can I expect? is it just one of those things? Can they/will they pull her milk teeth out so the adult teeth move into the right place?

From DD's perspective, she is a little put out that the tooth fairy has not been yet, and that she now has 'double teeth'.

archfiend Sun 16-Jun-13 16:57:10

My dd has had a couple of these, dentist had a look at a check up and said once the milk teeth came out then the adult teeth would push forward into position. Took a little while but this is what has happened.

HTH!

No, very normal, however it does look alarming! The new tooth/teeth will eventually push the milk tooth out and move into position, the dentist won't do anything. smile

archfiend Sun 16-Jun-13 16:57:42

PS dentist didn't see the need to pull the milk teeth and they did come out on their own.

GoldenGreen Sun 16-Jun-13 17:01:22

Ds had this late last year. We waited at least two months and the milk teeth just didn't budge. The dentist pulled them and the adult teeth started to move into the right place. Still waiting for the next lot and hoping it doesn't happen again.

youarewinning Sun 16-Jun-13 17:04:04

My DS' (8) teeth have come through like this. He had have one removed (takes about 3 seconds after an aneasthetic injection!) The others we have just waited out and eventually the baby one has gone and its moved forward. He also lost his later than his peers but didn't have teeth until nearly 11 months - he decided walking was far better!

Interestingly enough because of this the dentist has watched and said he may need a brace when they've all come through - yet his teeth seem like the straighest of all his friends! (he's likely to be overcrowded eventually though sad)

DD had this with the first teeth she lost - they took SIX MONTHS to come out and the new ones were visible for a large amount of that time. The dentist wasn't at all bothered, and true enough, when the first one came out you could see within 24 hours that the new one was moving forward to take up its proper place.

Every tooth since has taken ages to come out, but it was just those first two that did the serious shark teeth thing.

PavlovtheCat Sun 16-Jun-13 21:31:42

Thanks all, feel reassured now! I have crooked teeth, but not my front ones. I didn't ever get them straightened (stubborn child with a crossbite) and really hope DD doesn't inherit my crookedness. However, I would like her to inherit my strength of teeth, as DH has perfectly straight, rotten teeth, and I have never had a filling, aged 35yrs (visit the dentist regularly so not because I am avoiding getting them checked wink). So, I guess crooked strong teeth are better than straight weak teeth, but if she can have straight strong teeth, then bonus.

So, next question. Given that she has waited so long for the tooth fairy to arrive and she has two of her adult molars already, which were quite painful coming through, and now another adult tooth which she is very proud of, would the tooth fairy swing by on occasions like this do you think?

PavlovtheCat Sun 16-Jun-13 21:34:40

dontcallme the dentist told me 2yrs ago that DD's bottom tooth was wobbly, she said it's going to be a while yet, but it won't be too long - waay before any of her classmates lost theirs. Wrong! That tooth is still only a little wobbly, it's the other one on it's way out! But then, I had a dentist x-ray my teeth aged 18 and told me I had no wisdom teeth at all. Cue one popping through a month later! confused.

BeaWheesht Sun 16-Jun-13 22:47:38

Ds is 6.5 and only one in his class who hasn't lost a tooth.

His top and bottom 2 front teeth are coming in as 'sharks teeth' like your dd's and according to the dentist it's nothing to worry about. He also has a super numerary (extra) tooth in the roof of his mouth though...

The tooth fairy here doesn't come until the tooth is under the pillow I'm afraid but we are in Scotland so maybe yours has a different budget?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now