Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Support as I'm in A&E with 11 yr old dd.

(72 Posts)
catty1234 Sun 16-Jun-13 08:33:50

She got head butted in school by a boy for not giving him an Ipad straight away. She got blown to the floor but got up, then 10 mins later in literacy she was white as a sheet and having trouble talking.
Teacher said "are you ok" and she fainted on to the floor.
Woke up about 5 mins later and saw 3 of the teacher.
I was called and DD was taken down the stairs but felt like she was falling. Friend brought down her stuff and she fainted again, this time she kept apologising when she woke up. Took her to a&e and she has been in and out of a sleep, fainting, being sick and crying since.
This happened on Friday and She is still in hospital. I am so worried as I know she thinks its her fault. In between sleep she keeps apologising and crying and being sick, she faints when she stands up.If anyone has support I would be grateful as this probable isn't the usual concussion

girliefriend Sun 16-Jun-13 12:08:18

Have the police been involved? I would be pressing charges for assault.

Horrendous thing for your dd to have to go through sad

Hope she starts to pick up soon.

kelda Sun 16-Jun-13 12:11:03

I'm not sure if 'sorry' covers headbutting and putting your daughter in hospital for the weekend.

I would contact the police.

Your poor dd.

mikkii Sun 16-Jun-13 12:23:00

At least it sounds like the boys dad is taking it seriously. He made an effort to apologise and bring her a gift. Hopefully it is followed up with punishment of his child and possibly a referral for anger issues.

Hope DD is starting to feel a little better.

cocolepew Sun 16-Jun-13 12:29:46

How awful!
Wishing your DD a speedy recovery x

Have the police been informed?

BoffinMum Sun 16-Jun-13 12:32:59

This was a bad assault and the police need to be involved, sorry. What has the head teacher done?

PatPig Sun 16-Jun-13 12:37:15

Report to the police, you will be doing the little shit a favour.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 16-Jun-13 12:39:26

Poor DD. That is shocking.

You are doing the right thing to focus on her 100% right now, you can deal with the school & the boy later.

Floggingmolly Sun 16-Jun-13 12:40:57

I'd have involved the police before now too. It's good that the boy's dad is apologetic on behalf of his son; but don't let the flowers deflect your attention from what was a very serious assault.

Floggingmolly Sun 16-Jun-13 12:41:16

Hope she's ok, btw.

Trazzletoes Sun 16-Jun-13 12:44:51

Blimey! I hope she feels better soon!

Good that the boy's dad has been nice but was his DS involved in any of the apologising?! I'd be contacting the police too, I think.

JuliaScurr Sun 16-Jun-13 12:46:54

yy, go ahead with demand for action. possibly consider explaining to the Dad that you appreciate the gesture but still feel it's necessary to report

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 12:50:49

In think all that can wait until Next week.

Concentrate on dd for now, hope she is getting better xx

StripeyYogurt Sun 16-Jun-13 12:51:47

report x

Have the Doctors said what they think is using it?

I think this is a matter for the police too. Very violent behaviour from a school boy over something trivial aswell, this needs to be nipped in the bud now, there needs to be action to make sure he doesn't carry on with these behaviours in the future.
I would also be expecting the school to punish him heavily aswell.

KaFayOLay Sun 16-Jun-13 14:17:56

I hope your daughter recovers soon and she gets back to her own bed, and you yours. There's nothing like your own bed!

We have a boy at our school who was expelled from his previous school for head butting a girl (he is 14) - he has to travel from the next county!! I would expect nothing less for the boy who has done this to your daughter.

PicardyThird Sun 16-Jun-13 14:27:21

I'm so sorry, how frightening. Hope your dd recovers soon.

Obviously headbutting is far from OK, and I too would expect the boy to be punished (and to make a personal apology or at least write a letter, not just hide behind his dad), but I am a little hmm at all the baying for police involvement for an 11yo boy. I think it's vicious and inappropriate. A child who headbutts at that age needs help and guidance, not terrifying out of his wits. Of course what OP is going through is horrendous, but pursuing vengeance will not make her dd well.

PicardyThird Sun 16-Jun-13 14:28:18

And whoever referred to an 11yo child as a 'little shit' should be ashamed of herself.

I am so sorry to hear what happened.

Do they know why she keeps going in and out of consciousness? Have they done repeated CT and MRI scans and the such?

I would still make a formal complaint about the boy as it could've been a lot more serious and he needs to learn you can't do that to someone. If he is 11 too he should know a lot better about headbutting people.

I am here for hand holding and I don't know where you are but if you need anything just PM me and I will see what I can do.

x

TheRealFellatio Sun 16-Jun-13 14:35:01

I'm not surprised the boy's dad has been bringing her presents - he must be shitting himself that you will press charges. What action is the school taking against the boy?

After being knocked over by the force of a headbutt I am quite surprised your DD was sent back to her lessons to be honest.

hifi Sun 16-Jun-13 15:19:06

why should calling a thug who headbutted someone a little shit be shameful? I think its well deserved.

Lovingmybabiesbottom Sun 16-Jun-13 15:23:29

Perhaps I am being a tad sceptical, but could the father be responding so nicely and so swiftly, because he is trying to dissuade you from going to the police?

Whatever, you really should involve the police. Your poor girl

frutilla Sun 16-Jun-13 15:33:40

Agree about involving the police. This is truly shocking and needs to be dealt with formally and not brushed under the carpet with apologies and flowers. Wishing your poor DD a speedy recovery. x

3littlefrogs Sun 16-Jun-13 15:35:32

She has had a significant head injury.
She should have a MRI scan and you must make sure the doctors know exactly what happened.
Please document everything and inform the police.
Log everything with the school.
It may be months before she recovers.

My dd had a head injury at school. the school didn't take it seriously at all. It was 5 months before she was able to go back to school. She was very poorly indeed.

I hope your dd feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now