Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Preteen bowel problems?

(7 Posts)
Slh0404 Fri 14-Jun-13 21:00:43

My ds lately has to go to the loo in the middle if dinner, often disappearing for 15 mins at a time! He swears he feels fine but is this normal! He claims not to need to go before dinner though I ask him every time. It's getting v annoying, will he grow out of it or is something wrong? He won't want to go to the docs!

KristinaM Sat 15-Jun-13 07:36:51

Is he vomiting when he's in the loo?

Slh0404 Sat 15-Jun-13 12:10:33

No, I don't think so, just takes a long time to poo I think

KristinaM Wed 19-Jun-13 12:10:16

It's not normal and he needs to see the doctor

Don't be annoyed with him, whatever the problem is , it's something he can't help . He needs your support to get over his embarassment and get medical advice

Ragusa Wed 19-Jun-13 19:00:48

I thought it was normal for people to need the loo during, or shortly after, a big meal. Isn't it a reflex action?

I am not sure anything's up in the absence of other signs (eg anything that might lead you to suspect bullimia).

KristinaM Thu 20-Jun-13 09:34:16

Not normal to take 15 mins to poo I think hmm and have a sense of urgency

Ragusa Thu 20-Jun-13 10:51:28

Sense of urgency is normal surely but I see what you mean about it taking 15 minutes. Although... in our house this is common and usually indicates someone taking their time and reading a book or something, we call it a luxury poo rather than a physiological problem grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now