Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What would you do? Coughing young child

(5 Posts)
SuiGeneris Thu 13-Jun-13 09:10:16

Thanks for all this. He does have asthma but had already had his salbutamol inhalers and nebulised steroid, plus Piriton (he is allergic to pollens).

In the end I left him in his room bit checked on him every hour or so (baby was making sure I did not sleep too much) and around 4-5 he stopped coughing and slept well until 7. At which point I wonder whether the sprays and Piriton helped or hindered.
No Vicks in our house because the only time my grandmother tried it on me I had a massive asthma attack...

BeaWheesht Wed 12-Jun-13 23:33:22

Hmmmmm ds has asthma so maybe it's different but when he's coughing that much he needs steroids / inhaler.

Wouldn't wake for honey and water.

What about sitting in his room with a kettle boiling with lid open?

Vicks on soles of feet is meant to work wonders - I've only tried it once, on dd and she had a massive croup attack so have never dared again even though I know it wasn't related!!

How is his breathing otherwise? Ok? No blueness or tracheal tug? No tugging in under the ribs? Temp ok?

coffeewineandchocolate Wed 12-Jun-13 22:28:01

soles

coffeewineandchocolate Wed 12-Jun-13 22:26:56

vicks vapo rub on stores of feet- seriously!

SuiGeneris Wed 12-Jun-13 22:25:07

DS1, (3), has a very bad cough. Think a cough every 15-20 seconds. He is asleep un his room at the other end of the corridor. I have DS2, (1) In my room and probably my bed from about 12. Would you:
1) leave things as they are, checking on DS1 when you wake up
2) move DS1 to my room
3) try to wake DS1 to give him honey and water...

I am thinking 2 but am wondering whether that would just wake us better...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now