Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Having some great success with treating Dd's excema!

(25 Posts)
MistyB Thu 13-Jun-13 20:24:20

I love coconut oil! I have been using it in food and have noticed a difference in my skin and many of the natural alternatives to tooth health forums swear by it to rid the mouth of bacteria and whiten teeth!!

Branleuse Thu 13-Jun-13 19:30:06

its really good for KP as well. I use it on my legs

twofalls Thu 13-Jun-13 19:28:45

Skin so much better after using coconut oil. Thanks for sharing!

suburbophobe Fri 07-Jun-13 18:41:21

grin

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 07-Jun-13 18:37:54

Just avoid the cocnuts

laverneandshirl Fri 07-Jun-13 14:28:57

Thanks, going to try this.

twofalls Fri 07-Jun-13 14:19:49

grin at cocnuts

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 07-Jun-13 08:21:32

Er coconuts

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 07-Jun-13 08:21:23

Oh, I was using the massage product, so actually coconut oil. Yay for cocnuts

ITCouldBeWorse Fri 07-Jun-13 08:20:46

Brilliant. Hope it works magically :-)

twofalls Fri 07-Jun-13 06:52:18

Have slathered her in it three times, put it in the bath, put a dab of steroid cream on the really bad bits and the first proper nights sleep in weeks! Thank you op, even if I didn't use the same product as you!

Ablababla Tue 04-Jun-13 19:51:37

Waitrose do two types: baby bottom butter which is made from olive oil and massage oil which is solid coconut. Both are fab on dry skin!

twofalls Tue 04-Jun-13 19:48:50

Just bought some from holland and barret. Dd happily let me put it in her, unlike diprobase which she hates. Will see how we get on.

Jojobump1986 Mon 03-Jun-13 22:45:02

I love, love, love coconut oil! I use it on my ever expanding bump to keep the skin soft, put it in hot chocolate to <ahem> lubricate my digestive system... But my favourite use is for DS's skin. I've got no idea whether it's just dry skin or actual eczema - I have eczema, DH has terrible dry skin so our children are bound to be dermatologically challenged in some way! DS had dry, rough skin on his cheeks & the backs of his hands. We managed to mostly get rid of it with E45 but then his thumb started cracking from all the sucking. We did want him to be sucking on E45 so we've been treating it several times a day with coconut oil for about a week now & it's looking so much better! He also gets coconut oil in the bath to help keep his skin hydrated. It's wonderful stuff!

I think I should be on commission the amount I've been raving about it... I'd happily accept free coconoil as payment! grin

PoppyWearer Mon 03-Jun-13 22:33:19

Ooh, I have some of that and my DCs have awful eczema at the moment. Must try it!

tacal Mon 03-Jun-13 22:28:50

I will buy some next time I am in waitrose and try it next time ds's eczema flares up. Thanks for sharing.

ITCouldBeWorse Mon 03-Jun-13 19:43:41

Actually, I could be talking pants - having checked, I see no coconut!

www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-2841-Waitrose+baby+bottom+butter

But it is q famous on mn!

tacal Mon 03-Jun-13 19:37:45

That's great it is working for you. It has also helped my DS. We use coconoil from amazon but have just bought one from sainsburys to try. I also put it in his bath and we have a jar in the kitchen which we use as an alternative to butter. It is fab.

ITCouldBeWorse Mon 03-Jun-13 19:22:56

Have not really noticed it being a problem - it may be her skin is so dry it sucks it right up!

A good dollop goes on and might leave a little residue on pjs, but not really noticeable.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 03-Jun-13 19:18:25

Its so greasy though - dont you get it on everything? I know its worth it if it is working but how do you cope with it practically

JanePlanet Mon 03-Jun-13 19:11:58

Thanks for sharing! I'll try that on ds

ITCouldBeWorse Mon 03-Jun-13 19:10:08

Used the wait rose botty butter baby version, so whacked it straight on!

thestringcheesemassacre Mon 03-Jun-13 19:09:36

Where did you get it from? Can you link?

twofalls Mon 03-Jun-13 19:05:28

Do you put it straight on the skin? I use it in the bath but haven't used it direct in the skin.

ITCouldBeWorse Mon 03-Jun-13 18:53:49

We have tried all the usual - hydrocortisone (which helped a bit but obviously has to be used v sparingly), all sorts of oilateum shower gels, bath products etc, and a ton of different moisturisers. No great solutions.

However, in desperation I tried solid coconut oil which is cheap as chips and can be used several times throughout the day. The difference is spectacular. So, knowing so many people respond differently to different treatments, I thought I'd share.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now