Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dental health (any dentists here?)

(12 Posts)
minniemouse76 Sun 26-May-13 21:37:46

I am an holistic therapist so healthy eating is important to me. Therefore my children have very little unhealthy food, although I have been amazed at the food they get given at schools that have "healthy eating" policies! I brush the childrens' teeth as well twice a day and try hard to brush them well, though there is a chance I am missing some bits at the back as they have strong gag reflexes and one seems to have very small mouth and can't open it much!

A few years ago I found out that nurseries and others looking after them gave a lot of bad stuff and was worried the dentist would find decay and amazed each time as he always said they ahd absolutely perfect teeth.

Although I was very surprised their teeth had no decay, I am now very surprised that there is decay! sad

It started in February, after being pleased that he had perfect teeth at last visit, the February visit a hole was found in my 5 year ols's tooth and filled and a few weeks ago, after screaming in pain a trip to the emergency dentist found 2 teeth ahd decay (though one of these was where the previous filling had come out rather than a new cavity).

On each occasion I have been devastated and felt like the worst mum ever for not caring for my child properly. The only thing that made me feel better was the fact that his siblings had got to the age of 8 and 9 with no decay. However, though I obviously don't know much myself, I was just cleaning the 8 year old's teeth and on most of her pre molars I saw lots of very tiny dots, and am worried these may be decay.

Is it all the "healthy" fruit they have? The 5 year old with two fillings is the healthiest of them with all the fruit and veg and milk he drinks but can natural sugars do this much harm?

I'm a dentist. Milk is fine for the teeth, although shouldn't be drunk at night after toothbrushing.
Dried fruits, especially raisins are particularly bad for the teeth, worse than soft chocolate like chocolate buttons.
Whole fruits, apples bananas etc are fine, just don't brush teeth straight after having them, and eating a small piece of cheese will help the mouth to neutralize after eating them.
Fruit juices should be kept to a minimum, even freshly squeezed. The pulping process makes intrinsic sugars (bound in the fruit and broken down in the stomach) become extrinsic (broken down in the mouth).
Yoghurt is a particular dislike of mine - marketed as healthy yet packed full of sugars, cheese is a better snack than yoghurt.

also make sure your toothpaste had a good level of fluoride. As the 5 year old already has decay he should be on one with an adult strength of fluoride, Aquafresh is usually popular with kids. Make sure the toothpaste is spat out but not rinsed away so it has a chance to coat the teeth, especially at night. When his first adult molars are through, which will be soon, ask to have them fissure sealed for protection.

minniemouse76 Sun 26-May-13 21:59:44

he has sensory processing problems and will only tolerate weleda calendula toothpaste, I have bee trying to get him to have normal toothpaste for a while, just trying a tiny bit once a day in addition to his twice a day brushing. He did eat raisins regularly when younger but not for 2 years.

He has natural sugar free yogurt although has had normal yogurts at school and children centre stay and plays. He never has juice or squash etc, just water and milk.

I was half hoping it was milk and fruit that was doing it so I could stop feeling guilty (I know I don't give him sweets, biscuits etc) but I allow him to have school dinners and to be looked after by people who are't as strict as I am about food)

Since the fillings I have been giving cheese after meals

Thanks for your reply, Akissisnotacontract, other people have said that some people have teeth naturally prone to decay, is this true?

TeamEdward Sun 26-May-13 22:04:24

My ds has sensory issues (and slight tooth decay problem from the associated fear of brushing) and we have found Oranurse toothpaste a Godsend. It's unflavoured and non-foaming.

other people have said that some people have teeth naturally prone to decay, is this true?

only in extremely rare circumstances. In your DS's case I'd say it's not what he's eating, it's the lack of fluoride in his toothpaste. You might as well not bother with toothpaste if using one without fluoride. The one that TeamEdward has linked to has a perfect level of fluoride.

louismummy Sun 26-May-13 22:10:14

I'm sorry but your toothpaste has no fluoride in it - this is the problem! You need to find a topical source of fluoride, if not paste then mouthwash.
The toothpaste recommended by TeamEdward seems an ideal toothpaste.
I'm a dentist too.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 26-May-13 22:19:49

Yes..there ar mild fluoride toothpastes..

My DD has a sweet tooth but is 6.6 with no fillings, I credit the fluoride

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 26-May-13 22:21:26

Oranurse sounds ideal.

4nomore Mon 27-May-13 10:58:43

Orasnurse is great, I'm using it with my son who is autistic. Last year the dentist (reasonably enough) insisted that the "Milk Teeth" toothpaste we'd been using just wasn't adequate so I tried a (relatively mild tasting) adult toothpaste and he threw a fit and wouldn't let a toothbrush in his mouth again for nearly six months shock but then a different dentist suggested Oranurse (I'd just about got him back to using the baby toothpaste by this point) and that's gone down fine.

minniemouse76 Mon 27-May-13 13:05:05

thanks for the oranurse link, will try that, I asked my dentist if it was because of the fluoride free tooth gel (though I think the fluoride in the water where I live is fairly high) and he wasn't concerned about that so I was wondering if I should stop his school dinners or whether the loads of fruit was causing it. Even though he sais it wasn't the lack of fluoride I tried switching to fluoride toothpaste as soon as he had the fillings but he kicks and screams and moves his head around, tried fruit flavour and all kinds but its been impossible so far. They have stopped making the tooth gel that he likes anyway and just do the paste which he doesn't like so much so will try oranurse

At least I know I don't need to feel bad about his diet and its so much easier if he has school dinner as I have other children to do packed lunches for and a lot of demands on my time

minniemouse76 Fri 31-May-13 19:04:13

have ordered some oranurse and spoken to the OT who has said just brush without toothpaste at all confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now