Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.
ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
Found a lump on DS 12 leg - v worried(40 Posts)
Going to make a GP appointment asap but wondering if anyone else can suggest to me what this lump might be? It's at /near the knee joint but on the outer side of his leg and is hard and about the size of a small egg. DS says it doesn't hurt and may have been there a while. I've not seen it before.
Am wondering about possible causes from something v minor - like sports' injury related - to something catastrophic. I know we'll need medical advice on this but if anyone can suggest what it might be, please do, as I'm panicking.
Sorry - just re-read your last message. I see your main concern is cancellation. Yes, I guess that going private would make that far less likely. I can't advise about unexpected expenses, though, as we've only ever "gone private" when we had Bupa cover through a company plan...
Hardly relevant now, but when my dh had the same operation (but on his arm) he was an NHS patient and yet the surgeon was supposedly the best in the UK at the time. Even if he'd gone private, he'd have not had anyone more skilled - just likely jumped the queue and had a private room. It's worth seeing who (and where) would be performing the operation and looking into their experience before assuming that going private would be any better. The majority of private drs/surgeons have NHS rolls too, so you could well end up paying for exactly the same surgeon!
I agree - your DS is 12 and though not as nice as a private one, will able to cope with the local hospital as I'm assuming it is a short stay. I can understand your desire to get things done quickly however the cost element may create more stress than it is worth in this instance as it is just another thing for you to deal with. He will most likely see the same dr at the local hospital. Spend some money instead on a nice treat or weekend away for the family.
Of course you don't have to defend your decision to go private- but is it a fairly straightforward operation? Ir seems a shame to spend all your savings when there is no real medical need to do so - can you quiz the NHS hospital on things like cancellation rates, and how long he would have to stay in-that sort of thing- before you make the decision?
Found out from the consultant we saw that DS will need an operation to have the bony exostosis removed.
I am thinking of using up some savings to get this done privately (don't have health insurance), so that we can have more choice over when it's done and DS will have a much better experience at the local private hospital.
However, I don't know what happens if there are suddenly complications post-op or during and then the costs racket up? I could just about afford the op. -(will find out the exact amount in next few days) but could not afford to have DS at ICU for several days etc etc. Maybe I'm just worrying that something might go wrong because I'm worried about DS.
Does anyone know what happens if you pay to go privately for an op. but can't afford extra and unexpected costs? Would they transfer DS to the local NHS hospital - which is about 10 mins drive down the road? Would he be transferred as a private patient, however and I'd still then have to pay?
I know that the money issue is minor compared with wanting DS to be OK. The reason I want to pull out all the stops and get it done privately, is to protect DS and give him the best of what I can. We've had experience of the local NHS hospital which isn't at all the worst hospital. But it'd be v likely that his op. would be suddenly postponed at the last minute or he'd be kept waiting all day, unable to eat or he'd find the whole noisy, busy ward atmosphere difficult on top of having a scary op. anyway.
With my work and precariously balanced lifestyle - a constant juggling act - I can't afford to have to reschedule everything if DSs op were cancelled. Non emergency op.s are often cancelled on the day or just before because of emergencies or whole ward closures cos of norovirus etc.
Anyway, I feel like I'm defending my desire to have DS seen privately but the thing is, I'm worried that I'd literally be unable to pay for extra costs, if something went wrong.
Has anyone here ever been in a similar situation - ie decided to pull out all the stops and pay privately for an op. or treatment and then find that the fees were massively more than you were expected because of things going wrong?
I do know a little bit about exostosis because of my job. It may have started from a tendon rubbing over it, especially at the location you are describing. It's not indicative of anything sinister.
I would have thought any surgery would be straightforward.
I think benign exostosis means that it's likely the same thing as my DH had - an osteochondroma? If so, his was removed at The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital. It was definitely done under GA - the operation was a good few hours long - but like I said, there was the added issue of definite nerve involvement with his... They said that they couldn't tell him for certain why it grew that way, but that the most likely cause (since his was a single incidence - not the (inherited?) medical condition where you develop loads of them) was that his bone got some damage as it was growing and that all the subsequent overgrowth of bone stemmed from that unnoticed original injury...
Roshbegosh - Think you might want to read the thread. OP's well past the "go to GP or not?" stage...
This could be sinister at this site but don't want to worry you, hopefully these other posts are right. Urgent GP appointment needed.
So glad it's not sinister!
I can't answer your questions I'm afraid, hope someone comes along soon who can help.
Benign, hooray, hope someone here comes along and can reassure you.
DS1 had his Xray and the results are a benign exostosis from his femur - but quite a large one.
I am massively relieved that it's not cancerous. However, he's been referred to a paediatric orthopaedic consultant surgeon for further discussion, as it's so big.
Does anyone know if this might mean he needs an operation to cut off the tumour? The GP suggested that it might cause problems for surrounding tissue/ligaments etc.
Does anyone know if having a benign exostosis, is indicative of anything more worrying - like why would the body grow a bone where it shouldn't be growing? Would this put DS in any 'risk' catgeory?
Also, does anyone know what surgery might involve - ie GA or local anaesthetic?/ recovery period etc?
My ex partner had this about a year ago. It was to do with some kind of injury/stress thing to the knee, he's got a fairly manual job and was cycling a lot at the time as well. It was nothing to worry about and went away on its own x
How are things going Blog?
My Ds had something similar on is ankle when he was 12. He was generally feeling tired and aching a bit. Had an X-ray. We found out it was extra bone growth. Weirdly the rest of him hadn't caught up I guess.
He is now 2 years older & all fine. It did happen once more on the other ankle 6 months later, but hardly noticeable. He is very thin, & I wondered if it was just more obvious because of his overall skinniness.
I hope all goes well Op
Thinking of you
Hope it all goes okay for you and ds1 today Blog
I was also going to suggest osteochondroma. My husband had one on the inside of his upper arm as a teen. It was pretty big - he couldn't put his arm down flat to his side because of it. It had to be removed because its growth was impacting on nerves and he was told by the surgeon that left untreated he would eventually lose the use of his arm (as he was losing sensation in his hand whenever his arm was in a certain position.) From what I can tell that was particularly unfortunate and they're usually not anything to worry about when they occur singly.
Thanks Jellykat. That's helpful, as is everyone else's reassurances. Of course I've been awake since 3.30am worrying but trying not to. Hope we get an X ray for today. Will keep posting here as it just helps to off-load really and feel less alone with it all.
Just to put hopefully put your mind at resta bit, DS2 has had many X-Rays and MRIs and he's fine.
Interestingly his Osgood Schlatters has resulted in an overgrowth of bone, i've seen the X-Rays (both legs, but one side is worse) and the bones actually have what looks like a big upside down hook stuck on them, which is whats causing the egg shape. Its doesn't give him any problems, his legs just look a bit bumpy in shorts.. try not to worry too much, your DS sounds exactly the same, even down to the age it's been discovered.
Yes. I think it does read bony exostosis. Been googling and it may well be what your daughter had, Walsingham. I just hope it's something benign.
I keep veering between worrying desperately about DS1 and willing to put every single thing on hold till we know what's going on - and then feeling stressed about the logistics of managing hospital appointments - especially over the coming weeks, as there are several out of the ordinary demands in my working life (self-employed single mum), already leading to complications with childcare etc.
DS2 is DS1s twin, but has some SN (Asperger's high functioning) but will be fine in school. It's just if I can't pick him up after school, there isn't an easy solution about where he could go, although I'm sure I could get someone to have him.....
I also have 2 parts of me going on - one is frantically worried about DS1 - who has had a few health scares across his life already - although none came to anything (suspected lymphpma around age 5; suspected heart issues and stomach issues around age 10). He's one of premature twins and has had issues with vomiting across his life and is much thinner than his twin and I and I've always worried about him.
The other part of calmly thinking - it's got to be some kind of benign growth as even though he's had some health scares, he's generally growing well and OK/healthy.
DS1 has had quite a few X rays now across his life, which also worries me as he must have had more than I've had myself even....he's had I think 4 chest X rays, including a barium meal thing and one arm X ray. Will this be quite risky? I know he's needed all of them but I'm now worried about the risks of too many X rays so young.
Can you call in any favours, ask kindly neighbour/schoolfriend's mum to have DS2 during the X-ray dept visit? I don't know your younger child's age, is DS2 able to sit quietly and read in the waiting room if there is nobody to ask?
The GP didn't leap to any conclusions, nor fob you off. Organising an X-ray doesn't signify any sinister or permanent problem.
Fwiw I would think, okay, if there were a lump on DC's body, I'd rather it were on a limb than the torso, because it won't be near major organs. We can soothe 'til we're blue in the face, you're not going to relax until you know what it is.
Keep calm, it is being investigated, nothing is likely to change in the next 48 hours. Personally I often work through from 'worst case scenario' to 'something quite easily sorted', my DH is the opposite and remains calm and unflappable and refuses to worry before he has anything confirmed by trained medical personnel. He's right, grrr!
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
GP has referred DS for an X- ray and I have to telephone the X ray dept tomorrow at 9am to get an appointment, which will involved horrendous difficulties with work and taking DS1 out of school and not knowing what to do with DS2 meanwhile. May get an X ray tomorrow, the GP said or may be a day or two.
He wouldn't comment on all the things it might be but said it looks like a growth of bone. Obviously this could be something hideous or something OK.
How do you manage this inbetween time of not knowing, with imagination running wild and still keep it together for DCs and work?
Off to google madly for possible reasons of bony growths. I can't read the GPs writing on the form but it looks as if he's written, "bony exortion" but I can't read that last word. He's then put "? normal" which therefore means it might be abnormal as much as it might be normal.
My DFather says he had stretch marks from when he shot up in height as a teenager. So they may be completely unrelated, especially if you've noticed he's grown a lot recently. I hope the GP is able to reassure you.
Join the discussion
Please login first.