Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD ill, in hospital, I'm at home with the baby :-(

(36 Posts)
MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:00:10

Just looking for a bit of hand holding really as I'm by myself and away from her.

DD(3) sent to hospital by GP this afternoon with tummy cramping, raging temp, high pulse, shallow fast breathing. They think some kind of infection. She also has a weird rash on her leg hmm

I've been with her since then - she's had a cannula put in for anti-bs tho not had them yet as well as some medicine in her bottom confused bc she spat out the oral ibuprofen...

Now I've come home to feed the baby (7mth) so DH stayed but hope to go back later. Am on autopilot, bathing dd2 & now feeding. Don't know what I'll do w myself when she goes to bed. Ha! This'll be the one night without bedtime dramas to keep me occupied won't it?

Lizzylou Fri 10-May-13 19:02:53

Sending lots of get well vibes thanks
Poor little thing and you must be exhausted.

How horrible for you sad

Try not to worry, she's getting the right treatment by the sounds of it and your DH is there with her.

Have a sit down for 10 mins with a brew if you can before you go back.

Hope she is out soon x

Awakeagain Fri 10-May-13 19:04:25

Hth
Hope she picks up soon x

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:04:51

Thanks Lizzy, have some flowers back.

I am knackered, ill too with never ending cough & cold.

Happy Friday...

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:06:05

Thanks all. Going to try the baby transfer to cot then I'll get the kettle on, good idea. maybe some mindless tv.

Poor DD and poor you! Must be horrid to be away from her. I hope she's home, safe and well with you soon

FurryFox Fri 10-May-13 19:08:05

Oh I feel for you. Five weeks ago my dd2 aged 5 was sent to hospital by ooh doctor. DH had to take her as I had a two week old dd3. I have never felt so lost and helpless. Luckily she came home just after midnight but those 5 hours were awful. I would add dd wasn't at all fazed that I wasn't with her though hmm grin. Hope your dd is ok, let us know.

Is there anyone who could come and sit with the baby once asleep so that you can go back?

ChippingInLovesSunshine Fri 10-May-13 19:11:09

Oh poor you, it's hard not being with them when they are so ill. I hope you get some answers soon and she's home before you know it
x

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:11:09

Poor you Furry. Weeks old baby impossible to leave. I bet uou felt torn in two. Yes, at least both of mine can cope and DH with my big girl.

DH says she's going for chest X-ray soon.

Yes, try to zone out for a bit.

We used to do 'shifts' when DS was in hospital and it's important to grab some rest when it's your turn at home.

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:13:36

Yes stealth, my PiLs going to come back but they have a thing til 9.30 so I'm here til then. Hopeful can go back then and DH come back for baby tho it makes more sense me staying at home as BFing, don't know if I can.

Good news is baby asleep in cot now.

FurryFox Fri 10-May-13 19:14:27

Yes did feel torn, lots and lots of tears from me with 7 year old dd comforting me blush not the way it should be really. Fingers crossed your dd gets home soon or you're able to get back to her later.

Hope she gets better really quickly. thanks

It must be horrible for you to have to split your time like that. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery. Intravenous antibiotics can work like magic in little people & she'll probably be full of smiles very soon

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 19:14:59

Hope dd all recovered now furry.

Thanks all x

FurryFox Fri 10-May-13 19:15:59

Yes thanks Ms. Let us know how you get on. x

Pozzled Fri 10-May-13 19:21:50

Thinking of you, hope she makes a speedy recovery. It must be so hard not being able to be with her right now.

So you need to chill as much as humanly possible (tea and rubbish tv) until PIL get there. Even if you can't stay I am sure you will feel better for seeing DD.

Mintyy Fri 10-May-13 19:33:41

Oh you poor thing. I know how it feels ... one of you has to be at home for your younger child while the other stays in hospital. Its very very hard (and just about the only time I really wished we had parents nearby to babysit). I am sure your dd will get better very soon. Sending every possible healing thought to you and your family.

FortyFacedFuckers Fri 10-May-13 20:07:57

How awful, hope your DD gets better quickly <unmumsnetty hugs>

Lizzylou Fri 10-May-13 20:25:26

Hope that you are relaxing before you set off.
Best wishes, hopefully tomorrow all will be back to normal smile

MsInterpret Fri 10-May-13 23:11:14

DD all tucked up for the night in the chn's ward with Daddy on foldaway bed beside her. Much much better than when she arrived and hopefully that will continue thro the night with no more temp spikes.

Feeling positive. Thanks for all the support through a horrible evening. Night all.

Pozzled Fri 10-May-13 23:22:08

That's good to hear. Hope tomorrow brings even further improvement. Will be thinking of you.

BeaWheesht Sat 11-May-13 02:37:04

Did she have an x ray?

I was in same position as you when ds was just 4 and had a 3 month old and he had swine flu and pneumonia and Dh had to take him to hospital. I felt soooo guilty! It was Xmas day too. sad ds wasn bothered, he had his teddy and Dh and when he got home he was spoiled rotten smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now