Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help! 6 yr old dd can't get out of bed because her neck hurts?

(29 Posts)
somuchtosortout Sun 05-May-13 08:06:03

She is ok otherwise. Didn't know this could happen to children?! She's lying on her side and if I try even a gentle movement she howls in pain.
And no ice in the house as freezer wad turned off by accident a few days ago, so I chucked everything out and it is empty!
Any advice welcomethanks

jitterbug85 Sun 05-May-13 14:14:43

Sounds like she slept on it funny. Apply a cold pack rather than heat. Heat encourages swelling.

BiscuitMillionaire Sun 05-May-13 14:20:19

My DS got this, also when he was 6. He couldn't even crawl to the toilet he was in such pain. But it was just a 'cricked' neck, he was fine by the next day.

PJM18 Sun 05-May-13 23:01:14

Hi. My 6 yr old had this a few months ago. He woke crying saying the back of his neck was sore. After I gave him calpol and out a heat pad on it he seemed fine and went to school. It remained slightly sore for a few days and his head was tilted a bit to the side. I also noticed that one shoulder was higher than the other for a few days. I think it's called torticollis or 'cricked neck'. I tried to encourage him to rest if possible and also gave him gentle massages of his neck and shoulders.

AnyFucker Sun 05-May-13 23:13:31

Sounds like an acute torticollis

If it is settling, give her ibuprofen and use a warmpack/hot water bottle

the pain is called by muscle spasm and will improve in a couple of days if she is otherwise well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now