Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD will not poo. She is in pain, what should I do?

(65 Posts)
HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 20:31:50

She did a painful poo at preschool last Friday. She has refused to poo since. She cries and refuses to push, she says it hurts. I don't think it is constipation as the poo seems to arrive, only she holds on to it. Her powers of retention seem considerable! She normally goes about three times a day and she has continued to eat so is now in considerable pain.

We gave her movical on Monday which caused to to have a small, involuntary poo. Nothing since, despite continuing to treat with Movical. Today she has been in a lot of pain so we switched to lactulose and used a glycerin suppository. No result.

We have been getting her to drink much more, eat a lot of dried fruit, upped her veg and brown rice intake. What else should we do?

Weegiemum Sat 04-May-13 10:16:28

My ds (he'd hate to know I told you all this, he's 11 now) had chronic constipation as a toddler, and we gave him (my dh is a doctor and spoke to a paediatrician friend) a spoonful of senokot every morning - ds called it "bottom Medicine". It worked a treat!

squalor do you give more than one sachet at once or spread them out? DD will only drink it in milk (well, in water and then mixed into milk) and she only has milk in the morning and then last thing at bed. Don't know whether it would be advisable to give a double dose in her morning milk or split it over both bottles. If we split it I'm scared she'll have a poo explosion overnight!

Springforward Sat 04-May-13 00:22:07

Have to say, I've been giving DS a probiotic yoghurt every day recently and I did wonder if it was helping, might try yakult just to let him have a choice now and then. Do they taste nice? Never bought them before.

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 03-May-13 23:13:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onedev Fri 03-May-13 22:41:50

Yay for a good poo! grin

Well, like I said, DD has been on it daily since she was 7m, and gets reviewed by a consultant who's very good at letting me up the dose if I think it's necessary. Guess that's the difference between a consultant and a GP though - a GP is always going to be more cautious re. dosage. Do ask for a referral if you think you need one.

Glad she's better OP!

Squalor he seemed reluctant because she's not yet 2, and I think it's meant for 2yrs+ technically. If we have no poo over the weekend I'm going to up the dose though. We can't carry on with this sad

Beamur Fri 03-May-13 20:06:03

grin amazing the difference a good poo makes!

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 20:03:49

She is bouncing around all over the place, the difference is remarkable smile

She has also had movicol, we will keep it for a while

Glad your DD is better Humphrey.

My daughter is also 19m and has been on Movicol since 7m for chronic constipation. Has the GP not suggested increasing the dose? DD is on 1.5 sachets daily, increasing to two sachets if she goes a day without pooing. In bad cases of constipation one sachet just ain't going to cut it. Two or three would probably be better. Just steel yourself for the explosion!

She's not potty trained which doesn't help matters.

Just read this with interest as DD is in the same position but is only 19mo. I'm pretty certain she's holding it in. She spends hours every day straining with no result-it's now been 5 days and no poo despite a sachet of movicol every morning, masses of water, fruit and veg etc. It's been going on for a couple of months now, on and off, and the GP just keeps saying it's normal and will pass-but she's clearly in pain! I hate it sad

notapizzaeater Fri 03-May-13 18:41:53

Glad it worked ! Got funny looks from friends with the pack of balloons we kept in the loo but hey oh it works and I didn't care !

starfishmummy Fri 03-May-13 16:37:35

Phew. I am glad to hear that, Humphrey.

EskSmith Fri 03-May-13 16:36:04

Well done your dd! Now keep on with the movicol. You need to keep everything soft and moving for a good while so that she can't hold on to it. I'm afraid you can expect accidents too.

Been there, got the tshirt ;)

Hope you have a great birthday weekend smile

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 16:29:19

absolutely

thanks for the balloon tip

usualsuspect Fri 03-May-13 16:27:16

What a relief.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 16:05:07

The eagle has landed! The suppository, correctly administered (thanks squalorvictoria) did the trick, along with blowing up the balloon, moving her into the correct position and watching Sarah and Duck on iplayer.

You have all saved my weekend! And DD is also very grateful.

FannyFifer Fri 03-May-13 15:22:38

How's things?

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 11:12:39

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

outtolunchagain Thu 02-May-13 23:24:15

Swimming , we battled for years with constipation and retention.The one practically guaranteed way to get him to go was swimming,apparently it gets the abdominal muscles working , within 5 mins he would have to get out to go !

Beware too much fibre like brown rice as it bulks up the poo and then there is more to get rid off.Sorry TMI.Also try a little Vaseline around the anus , it helps to stop any stinging.

Hunn1e Thu 02-May-13 23:23:59

Appleteiser is a great one for getting it soft and explosive so there's no holding on.

There is a method called "rock and pop" that I was told to use by an old yoga teacher - you need to make sure her knees are elevated (put her feet up on a stool or up-turned bucket) then get her to cross her arms across her lower tummy whilst balling her fists. She should then rock back and forth so that her fists are effectively massaging her colon.

another yoga related one is to get her on all fours and then get her to arch her back as hard as she can and then do the opposite by sucking up her tummy so she's got an inverted arch - keep doing that and it gets things moving.

If she's finding that the poo is so hard it makes it feel like it's gritty and tearing her, some aloe vera gel smeared around her bottom will help too. In fact aloe vera is great taken orally for any problems with the gut - tastes really nasty though.

Hope the poor thing gets through it soon - the worst thing I have ever been through is watching my little girl endure an enema due to constipation......think I cried more than she did.

snickers251 Thu 02-May-13 23:19:49

No advice that hasn't already been offered but lots and lots of sympathy, I have a 'withholder'

I found the lactulose did nothing, nor did the suppositories, ds is just so stubborn!

movicol is the one thing that is helping us. After the initial 'clear out ' he is down to half a sachet a day then if he doesn't poo, I increase it until he does

Just need to get him over the fear bit now but he's playing up and being stubborn since his little sister arrived 6 weeks ago confused

Springforward Thu 02-May-13 23:18:57

Forgot to mention - it's hard to poo with dangling feet, if she can't reach the floor a step would help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now