Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD will not poo. She is in pain, what should I do?

(65 Posts)
HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 20:31:50

She did a painful poo at preschool last Friday. She has refused to poo since. She cries and refuses to push, she says it hurts. I don't think it is constipation as the poo seems to arrive, only she holds on to it. Her powers of retention seem considerable! She normally goes about three times a day and she has continued to eat so is now in considerable pain.

We gave her movical on Monday which caused to to have a small, involuntary poo. Nothing since, despite continuing to treat with Movical. Today she has been in a lot of pain so we switched to lactulose and used a glycerin suppository. No result.

We have been getting her to drink much more, eat a lot of dried fruit, upped her veg and brown rice intake. What else should we do?

HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 22:59:14

Thanks for all the advice, I am really grateful

Suppositories are usually fast acting, but you need to let them dissolve in order to stimulate the bowel. Maybe the flake of poo you saw was actually the suppository coming out?

Oh, the joys of parenthood grin

HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 23:04:33

yes, this is a conversation I never thought I would have on the world wide web grin

FannyFifer Thu 02-May-13 23:04:40

Could you feel poo when putting suppository in? How long ago did I give it?

Passthesaltdear Thu 02-May-13 23:05:35

We went through this recently with DS and it was so upsetting hmm keep increasing the movicol dose until she clears it It can take to to six or seven sachets a day shockbut it does work Also when she is ready to go get her to put her feet on something to raise her hips slightly while she sits as this helps a lot and bath to lubricate as its coming out as it will be painfulhmm

notapizzaeater Thu 02-May-13 23:06:21

I'm an expert on poo !! We used to sit ds on loo and give him a balloon to blow up - they push at the same time without realising it.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 23:06:22

couldn't feel a poo, just popped it in. Should I have pushed it in a little? <wince> It was at about 8.30.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 23:07:13

balloons here. Will add to the bubbles. Mumsnet is fab.

Yeah, it needs to go as far in as possible. Not way up, but beyond the sphincter so it doesn't pop straight out again!

HumphreyCobbler Thu 02-May-13 23:09:30

Ok, thanks <steels self>

It's grim. And she won't like it. But the relief will be immense once she goes.

FannyFifer Thu 02-May-13 23:11:27

I would usually try to get supps up a bit higher or it will prob just melt & come out.
If you put if in correctly you can feel if there is poo there and try to get it at least along side the blockage so to speak.

FannyFifer Thu 02-May-13 23:12:29

Lie her on left side to do it.

MrsPoglesWood Thu 02-May-13 23:14:21

Thanks Humphrey it's a long time ago now but I still remember the horrors of trying to deal with the constipation and impacted poo.

The suppositories usually work within about an hour. I would try another one in the morning and if that doesn't work you need to go back to your GP. Your poor DD must feel utterly miserable and no doubt you are worried sick.

roundtower Thu 02-May-13 23:18:07

Can you get baby lax or micro lax? I used micro lax when I had terrible constipation in pregnancy. It works very quickly and it would be impossible to withhold after using.

Springforward Thu 02-May-13 23:18:57

Forgot to mention - it's hard to poo with dangling feet, if she can't reach the floor a step would help.

snickers251 Thu 02-May-13 23:19:49

No advice that hasn't already been offered but lots and lots of sympathy, I have a 'withholder'

I found the lactulose did nothing, nor did the suppositories, ds is just so stubborn!

movicol is the one thing that is helping us. After the initial 'clear out ' he is down to half a sachet a day then if he doesn't poo, I increase it until he does

Just need to get him over the fear bit now but he's playing up and being stubborn since his little sister arrived 6 weeks ago confused

Hunn1e Thu 02-May-13 23:23:59

Appleteiser is a great one for getting it soft and explosive so there's no holding on.

There is a method called "rock and pop" that I was told to use by an old yoga teacher - you need to make sure her knees are elevated (put her feet up on a stool or up-turned bucket) then get her to cross her arms across her lower tummy whilst balling her fists. She should then rock back and forth so that her fists are effectively massaging her colon.

another yoga related one is to get her on all fours and then get her to arch her back as hard as she can and then do the opposite by sucking up her tummy so she's got an inverted arch - keep doing that and it gets things moving.

If she's finding that the poo is so hard it makes it feel like it's gritty and tearing her, some aloe vera gel smeared around her bottom will help too. In fact aloe vera is great taken orally for any problems with the gut - tastes really nasty though.

Hope the poor thing gets through it soon - the worst thing I have ever been through is watching my little girl endure an enema due to constipation......think I cried more than she did.

outtolunchagain Thu 02-May-13 23:24:15

Swimming , we battled for years with constipation and retention.The one practically guaranteed way to get him to go was swimming,apparently it gets the abdominal muscles working , within 5 mins he would have to get out to go !

Beware too much fibre like brown rice as it bulks up the poo and then there is more to get rid off.Sorry TMI.Also try a little Vaseline around the anus , it helps to stop any stinging.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 11:12:39

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

FannyFifer Fri 03-May-13 15:22:38

How's things?

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 16:05:07

The eagle has landed! The suppository, correctly administered (thanks squalorvictoria) did the trick, along with blowing up the balloon, moving her into the correct position and watching Sarah and Duck on iplayer.

You have all saved my weekend! And DD is also very grateful.

usualsuspect Fri 03-May-13 16:27:16

What a relief.

HumphreyCobbler Fri 03-May-13 16:29:19

absolutely

thanks for the balloon tip

EskSmith Fri 03-May-13 16:36:04

Well done your dd! Now keep on with the movicol. You need to keep everything soft and moving for a good while so that she can't hold on to it. I'm afraid you can expect accidents too.

Been there, got the tshirt ;)

Hope you have a great birthday weekend smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now