Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice please for emetophobic mother with sick boy

(28 Posts)
Dumbledoresgirl Thu 02-May-13 09:49:52

Hi, not been here for a long time but some of you with long memories may remember me as extremely emetophobic.

Last night, my youngest son (aged 10) was sick - first time he has had a stomach bug since he was 1 year old. He was ok through the night and woke this morning saying he was hungry.

I am far too cautious to feed food to someone who has been sick though without first trying water so I gave him a small cup of water and told him to sip it, which he did. About half an hour later, half the cup has been consumed (so really not much at all - maybe 50ml?) and he was sick again. Sorry for TMI at this point but I have to go there - probably not all the water but some yellow stuff (bile?)

So my question is: if after 12 hours he is not able to stomach a tiny bit of water, what do I do next? I know I have to try to keep him hydrated, but I don't really know how to proceed ie how much water to try again in how many hours' time?

I know I should know all this, mother of 4 kids, youngest aged 10, and I probably do know it really, but the emetophobia is greater than anything else and I am panicking here. Please, just hold my hand and talk me through this. sad

corblimeymadam Fri 03-May-13 05:21:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dumbledoresgirl Fri 03-May-13 09:22:11

Thank you everyone. Hello BB, nice to see you. smile

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread last night. He is better today thank God. The weirdest thing is, girliefriend, your advice proved to be the thing that worked in this case, although we had already tried it before you wrote your post.

I was working on giving him water, and he really wasn't keen although he did suck some ice cubes. But when dh came home, he gave in to ds3's requests for food and gave him a piece of toast and whaddya know? the toast stayed down and made a huge difference to his condition and I think even helped him with the drinking. It wasn't something I would have been strong enough to try on him (because of my fear that it would come back up) but of course, for dh, there wasn't that fear.

Afterwards, my mother (retired doctor) rang up and I mentioned this to her and she said sometimes the stomach can tolerate food better than water. confused

So anyway, he is much improved today. Up, eating more toast, and dh is working from home today so keeping an eye on him with me. I am still in that stupid emetophobic state some of you will recognise, fretting about who will get it next, watching the others for signs of not feeling right, but fingers crossed I am worrying about nothing.

Thank you for your support yesterday. If you are not emetophobic, I know it can be hard to understand, but it really helped having somewhere to turn to. flowers

girliefriend Fri 03-May-13 12:32:05

Glad he is feeling better smile sounds like the same bug we had here and like I said toast was the magic cure!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now