Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Alternative treatments for urinary infection, 6 year old girl?

(62 Posts)
Snowme Thu 02-May-13 09:44:24

My daughter aged 6 has a urinary infection and has been prescribed antibiotics.
I'm not an advocate of their use.
She has no other symptoms apart from pain whilst urinating every few weeks, which is quite severe. I'm also aware untreated or not treated properly it can have serious consequences.

I will administer the antibiotics if neccessary, but does anyone have knowledge or experience of alternative treatments? I'm not convinced blueberry juice or cranberry juice will be compatible with her taste buds as google search only seems to offer this alternative.

YoniOrNotYoni Wed 08-May-13 18:11:59

Oh-kay, so the op is rude as well as ignorant? Glad I posted a personal response to that.

PoppadomPreach Wed 08-May-13 18:19:38

I fear for your poor child. You appear to be incapable of putting her welfare before your unfounded and immoral principles.

I fine your attitude to your daughter, utterly irresponsible and abhorrent.

wonderingagain Wed 08-May-13 19:07:49

To be fair though, her GP prescribed her the cranberry pills, that doesn't mean she's refusing treatment. The GP is prescribing inappropriate treatment and surely should take the rap if there were accusations of neglect?

Machli Wed 08-May-13 19:15:00

He prescribed them AFTER OP declined AB's. Both at fault IMO.

Sidge Wed 08-May-13 19:45:43

I find it hard to believe any GP prescribed cranberry pills.

Unless the OP has a private GP or isn't in the UK.

wonderingagain Wed 08-May-13 19:52:59

You do get GPs in the UK who do homeopathy but mine was trained in Germany where they do it as a matter of course.

lljkk Wed 08-May-13 19:57:05

The scarring shit is very scary. They can need a kidney transplant as adults just because of bad UTIs as little girls. I strongly don't like antiBs either, but I'd rather them than risk a transplant need.

For ME, if I think I have a twinge of infection, I will go ask a chemist for that super acidic drink you can get, and see how it goes. But I am more careful with DD. Only have the one DD.

BlueBumedFly Wed 08-May-13 19:59:24

Instead of looking for the eternal 'cure' outside antibs, wouldn't time be better spent trying to find out why she has recurrent pain? Constipation can lead to UTIs in little girls, something to do with reversed flow

BlueBumedFly Wed 08-May-13 20:01:56

Instead of looking for the eternal 'cure' outside antibs, wouldn't time be better spent trying to find out why she has recurrent pain? Constipation can lead to UTIs in little girls, something to do with reversed flow (I'm sure one of the more qualified could explain) or does she have a case of worms? That causes uti type pain in girls as they go round the front too (sorry TMI I realise).

When your child is old enough to make decisions about her own use of antibs then she can take them or not, in the meantime it's your job to protect her from damaging her kidneys!

ClayDavis Thu 09-May-13 10:47:02

In my experience, mild UTIs can clear up on their own. They can also look as though they have cleared up but not all the bacteria has gone. This will lead to what looks like repeated infections but is in fact the same infection.

Fortunately there's almost certainly a solution to this problem. Give her the antibiotics. She must be in horrendous pain.

lljkk Thu 09-May-13 13:51:41

She may well not be in agony, I know a few cases of girls with chronic infections (because they refused prescribed antiBs, not because they weren't made available!). And they coped fairly well.

But it's risky. Too risky for me.

ClayDavis Fri 10-May-13 01:28:34

The last one I had I managed to wake myself up one night screaming in pain but I know they're not always agony. I've had a couple that were just a mild ache and not much else. However, the OP said the pain was quite severe and that seems unnecessary if she has the antibiotics that would treat it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now