Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Alternative treatments for urinary infection, 6 year old girl?

(62 Posts)
Snowme Thu 02-May-13 09:44:24

My daughter aged 6 has a urinary infection and has been prescribed antibiotics.
I'm not an advocate of their use.
She has no other symptoms apart from pain whilst urinating every few weeks, which is quite severe. I'm also aware untreated or not treated properly it can have serious consequences.

I will administer the antibiotics if neccessary, but does anyone have knowledge or experience of alternative treatments? I'm not convinced blueberry juice or cranberry juice will be compatible with her taste buds as google search only seems to offer this alternative.

Once the infection is properly vanquished, it would be well worth looking at some of the alternative therapies to see if they will help prevent future infections.

Bunbaker Thu 02-May-13 22:29:22

I hope her daughter is OK. DD got so very ill when she had UTIs and it makes me quite angry when some parents refuse the proper treatment. I hate to think how this little girl is feeling right now.

Machli Thu 02-May-13 23:49:14

If i believed this, which I don't, i would say don't be a twat! angry

How dare you withhold necessary medication from your CHILD who needs you to do the RIGHT thing for her because she's a child and cannot do it for herself?

Weegiemum Thu 02-May-13 23:53:53

PLEASE OP come back and tell ud you've agreed to the antibiotics.

You must never have had a serious uti if you aren't giving them.

You do know that not giving them in a 6yo can lead to kidney problems, scarring, future kidney problems and stones (and believe me you don't want that!!).

Just give her the medicine!

DoctorAnge Thu 02-May-13 23:55:06

You must treat this with AB! It is b likely an eColi infection. Children can become seriously ill without them. Don't fuck about with a urine infection, seriously.

AnyFucker Thu 02-May-13 23:56:40

it's probably a journalist

untwist one's knickers smile

thylarctosplummetus Fri 03-May-13 00:25:16

Tim Minchin puts it rather well:
Alternative Medicine has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. You know what they call "alternative medicine" that's been proved to work?
Medicine.

Give her the ABs.

DeWe Fri 03-May-13 09:55:20

I have a friend whose daughter had a mild seeming UTI and thought she would flush it out with cranberry juice. 24 hours later her daughter was still complaining, so she took her to the doctor. In that 24 hours she had not noticable worsenned, but her daughter then needed surgery because one of her kidneys was now blocked, and only has 25% use of that kidney now.
Doctor said that 24 hours could have made the difference. Mother still feels very bad about it 8-9 years later.

Bunbaker Fri 03-May-13 10:23:04

Where has the OP gone?

narmada Fri 03-May-13 12:24:30

Hopefully to the chemist to get the script filled wink

Icantstopeatinglol Fri 03-May-13 12:31:30

My dd currently has a uti and her dr has referred her for a scan through paediatrics. The dr has also given her antibiotics which has taken some time to sort as the samples kept coming back contaminated. She now has the right ab's. Both drs I've seen have been very concerned about getting this sorted and referred for a scan to make sure there's no problems as repeat uti's can cause kidney damage! Please don't leave it. My dd is 2 and she was complaining of tummy and back pain and I've had her backwards and forwards as I knew something wasn't right. They are painful so don't leave it.

Sidge Fri 03-May-13 12:36:51

There is no evidence that cranberry juice can treat a UTI.

There is some evidence that in some people cranberry juice can prevent recurrent UTIs.

If you won't give her the antibiotics then you run the risk of her getting pyelonephritis. Don't risk it.

PS Saying you're not an advocate of antibiotic use is a facile thing to say. Inappropriate use of antibiotics is not helpful, I agree, but ignoring the potential benefit of their use is ridiculous. Antibiotics save lives.

NotWilliamBoyd Fri 03-May-13 12:40:47

Cranberry juice is of no value once there is infection present, in fact it will probably make the urine more acidic and even more painful to pass.

I'm hoping that this is not a genuine query, I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of a parent witholding important medicine prescribed for their child whilst asking a load of strangers on the internet for alternative ideas.

Snowme Wed 08-May-13 10:13:53

OP hasn't gone anywhere, just not Watching the thread. As a time-served MN regular of many years standing I know which subjects are flame throwers, and antibiotics is one of them. I don't come here for advice, just views. Please don't expect a response from me ontos thread, Im just here to read your views.

Snowme Wed 08-May-13 10:16:29

Urine tests have also shown the infection cleared after cranberry pills, so she is the some of the*some people* that it works for. GP prescribed the pills after I declined the antibiotics.

hazeyjane Wed 08-May-13 10:20:46

Ohhhhhhkkkkkkay.

My view is that it is really not fair to not give your dd abs (I am choosing the most polite words I can there)

Dd2 (5) had a urine infection over Christmas, which went on for ages unnoticed - until she woke up one morning shivering, sweating and looking like the girl from The Exorcist. She was delirious and severely dehydrated, due to the infection. The abs sorted out the infection in a matter of days, it took her weeks to get back to her normal self though.

wonderingagain Wed 08-May-13 10:21:28

Actually 6 juniper berries also works. You just chew them. It's disgusting but worked for me for a mild infection.

But your attitude to posters stinks OP. Defensive and ungrateful. Sorry.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 08-May-13 10:31:43

Unfortunately ab's are the only way to clear up such infections without risking serious consequences. Please give them to your dd, after she has completed the course she can then take concentrated cranberry pills on a a daily basis to avoid getting another infection.

wonderingagain Wed 08-May-13 10:51:00

God I'm remembering the pain. It really is the body trying to tell you something very serious is wrong.

Snowme, your daughter's UTI cleared up in spite of your cranberry pills, not because of them. And honestly, only someone who has never experienced the excrutiating pain of bacterial cystitis could withold a safe and effective treatment (which would work within 24 hours) from a small child.

Given the damage that a prolonged UTI can do to a child's kidneys, I cannot understand why anyone would put their beliefs about antibiotics over their child's welfare.

Snowme - your child was lucky this time - the infection cleared up without the antibiotics - but you took an enormous gamble with your child's long term health and well being. It is your choice to take that gamble with your own health, but I genuinely believe you do not have the right to prioritise your own principles over your child's health.

Sidge Wed 08-May-13 14:19:58

A GP prescribed cranberry pills??

You're obviously not in the UK!!

sallysparrow157 Wed 08-May-13 14:27:28

I have been in situations where child protection proceeding have been used as a last resort to treat severe bacterial infections when the parent was refusing to comply with appropriate medical treatment. Choosing not to seek and comply with appropriate medical treatment for a child is classified as neglect.
Cranberry juice or pills do not treat infections. They may make the bladder wall inhospitable to bacteria so preventing infections but they don't actually kill the bacteria that are already there during a current infection. So they are worth taking as a prophylactic measure to those prone to infections but will not treat infections.
Untreated urinary act infections may get better by themselves in healthy people with normal urinary tracts. However they may not and may then lead to kidney infections which may need hospital treatment and can also lead to scarring of the kidney which will never get better and can lead to renal failure. In the short term, they are painful and unpleasant but symptoms improve within 24 to 48 hours with appropriate antibiotics.

Machli Wed 08-May-13 14:27:43

You've no right to "decline" antibiotics on your child's behalf.

You are neglecting her. Disgusting.

MirandaWest Wed 08-May-13 15:47:34

I once had a kidney infection after a urine infection (which was being treated). Was one of the most painful things ever - worse than childbirth I think. Fine, your DD is ok now but please investigate why she keeps getting the infections and realise anti biotics used correctly are a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now