Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

baby twitching eye while feeding

(10 Posts)
Rod64 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:04:51

Hi my 4 month old twitches his left superior eyelidwhile breastfeeding or sucking his fingers. Has anyone seen this with their babies?
Thanks
Rodrigo

My dd1 had this and it was Marcus Gunn Syndrome, obviously I'd contact your health visitor or gp as it could be something totally unrelated or nothing.

Rod64 Wed 01-May-13 16:01:47

Thanks. I did some research on the web following your post. May I ask how old she is now and whether you have considered surgery. I imagine children at school could be nasty to her.
Rod

She is 11 now and it's not noticeable at all now, we were literally told she had it and that was that, she didn't need any surgery etc.

She has other eye problems though still so I'm not sure if that is related, I'd say the Marcus Gunn Syndrome became less obvious by the time she was 4 or 5 by which time it was mainly when she was tired that her eyelid dropped to half mast.

barleysugar Fri 03-May-13 11:22:26

Yes, it's caused by the nerves being misdirected. It's usually not harmful, more of a quirk really. But if it causes the eyelid to stay lower than the other one for any length of time, it's worth having regular vision checks to make sure the eye doesn't get lazy.

cheekyginger Fri 03-May-13 22:19:53

Hi Rod64,

Def sounds like marcus gunn jaw winking.

Very rarely requires treatment. Just becomes a very cool party trick for a teenager! grin

Worth getting referred so that your LO can be checked properly and confirm the diagnosis.

idiot55 Tue 07-May-13 18:23:47

was going to say the same as the others, cheekyginger Im guessing you are an orthoptist, me too!

cheekyginger Sun 26-May-13 21:51:24

Hi idiot55,

Yes i'm an orthoptist!! Nice to find a fellow squinty person grin

Rod64 Thu 08-Aug-13 22:51:28

Thanks to all for the answers.

Over the past months my son saw eye consultants who diagnosed Marcus Gunn. He needs to be seen every three months until he's 1yo, than every 6 months, to make sure that the vision is developing normally.

Rod.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now