Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

mottled purple legs?

(8 Posts)
LeonieDelt Wed 24-Apr-13 16:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moosemama Wed 24-Apr-13 17:04:51

Hi Leonie

My niece has this. In her case, she is particularly sensitive to the cold and has raynauds which affects both her hands and feet.

It's called 'cutis marmorata' and is something all/most babies get when they get too cold. Most children grow out of it, but some retain the reaction to cold as they grow up. It can be associated with hypothyroidism, raynauds and EDS.

It's caused by vascular restriction in response to the cold and is also what I get with my CRPS when the temperature in my affected leg drops too low.

It's fairly common, being more obvious in chidren who have particularly pale skin.

LeonieDelt Wed 24-Apr-13 17:42:46

LeonieDelt Wed 24-Apr-13 17:44:21

coff33pot Thu 25-Apr-13 11:47:50

Eldest DD has Acrocyanosis. Her legs and arms and feet are mottled. She was told it was a circulatory issue.

If she stands too long you can see the mottled appearance appear before your eyes.

coff33pot Thu 25-Apr-13 11:58:58

oh and propranolol made it a lot worse for her too! along with pins and needles in her arms and legs but not pain.

Dd has this in her feet - she has Postural Tachycardia Syndrome linked with Ehlers Danlos, and this is part of it. Blood pools in her feet as her veins are too stretchy (v. simplistic explanation). She needs to pump her feet up and down to get her circulation going before she stands up to try to avoid fainting.

LeonieDelt Thu 25-Apr-13 18:35:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now