Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

rosy cheeked children

(17 Posts)
hairtwiddler Mon 22-Apr-13 08:12:19

Or in DS's case, a bit like this!

hairtwiddler Mon 22-Apr-13 08:08:02

Threebee, that's exactly what it looks like!

DD, who is the lightest-complexioned of my children, gets this when she is in a warm room or running around, for example at a party. It doesn't look like urticaria or rosacea, it just looks as though she's wearing a bit of blusher.

hairtwiddler Mon 22-Apr-13 07:00:30

Thanks. Glad to hear treatment helped. I think with my kids its more excessive flushing. I don't know enough about how circulation and pigmentation work to figure out out though! But I think nothing to worry about.

PigletJohn Mon 22-Apr-13 00:42:23

I had Rosacea, it came on, I think, when I was 30-ish.

I couldn't see it myself, obv, but I became aware when people started to say "I could see you were annoyed with Scroggins in that meeting, John, as he went on you got redder and redder" or "been to the pub for lunch, John?" or "I think you over-exerted yourself in that dressage test, you looked like you were about to have a throm"

I went on a low-dose antibiotic which had a side-effect of reducing it. There is a skin scream which didn't suit me. It went after a year or so.

hairtwiddler Sun 21-Apr-13 22:58:25

So pale, freckled, or ginger folks get flushed easily it seems! I'll keep an eye on the kids and see if any pattern. DS is incredibly cute with chubby wee red cheeks. Expect he won't think that when older though.smile

Jinsei Sun 21-Apr-13 22:44:30

I used to go bright red as a child. DD doesn't but DNephew does. He is blond with pale skin, dd is dark with olive skin. We're all prone to allegies and eczema!

BeaWheesht Sun 21-Apr-13 22:40:34

Ds is very fair with blonde hair an blue eyes - he gets this a lot. Dd who is more Olive skinned and has dark hair and dark eyes doesn't.

hairtwiddler Sun 21-Apr-13 21:37:55

DH and I are not ginger you see, so no ginger empathy! We must both be recessive gene carriers.

I must ask my brother... he is the other ginger in the family.

FriedSprout Sun 21-Apr-13 21:35:24

I used to be ginger. Every photo of me as a child shows bright red cheeks.

I also used to blush very easily and often.

Think it probably goes with the territory.

hairtwiddler Sun 21-Apr-13 21:33:52

I know nothing about rosacea. Can you get it in childhood?
Thanks for replies all, much appreciated.

PigletJohn Sun 21-Apr-13 21:32:14

might be rosacea, it comes and goes.

It can lead onlookers to wrongly assume angry/embarrassed/hot/been drinking so is better controlled.

hairtwiddler Sun 21-Apr-13 21:18:53

Yes DH's dad also gets very red cheeks but he's in his 70s and it looks very rosacea like. My kids just look red! They were running about in the Ikea ball pool today though.

DS is prone to dermatitis rashes and slight excema, e.g. after lots of handwashing when potty training, which is what got me wondering when woman mentioned allergic reaction.

GoodtoBetter Sun 21-Apr-13 21:15:28

I'm freckled, although not ginger. I don't do any exercise now really (lazy git), but if I do I can flush really really beetroot and it takes ages to go away.

Well I have brown hair, but pale freckly skin, so a bit similar perhaps. I have always flushed after exercise, and it takes ages to fade. An hour sounds a bit long, but certainly I could still be pink in school at the end of the lesson after pe, so 30 mins later.

I haven't met your kds, can't comment on them, but can reassure you that I, and my dad, do the flushing thing. Does that help?

SinisterSal Sun 21-Apr-13 21:02:24

That sounds like my nephew, age 3. No idea but interested too! Just bumping for you.
Interestingly while dn isn't ginger there is a lit if it in the family

hairtwiddler Sun 21-Apr-13 20:57:40

This is probably a daft question. Apologies in advance.

I have two (beautiful!) ginger haired children. Both get extremely red rosy cheeks from time to time which take some time to go away. Usually after running around or lots of excitement. DS (3) gets the most prominent bright red cheeks and was once sent home from nursery for having slapped cheek. He hadn't been in any way ill... Although once I thought DD had been applying her friend's blusher from a make up kit and she strongly denied it.

They both went in the Ikea creche today and a member of staff remarked on it, asking if it could be uticaria. I don't think so. It's not hive like and they are not itchy. She said her daughter had similar though and had been put on antihistamines.

Not particularly worried but curious. Is this something I should take them to the GP about or are they just hot?!! Are ginger kids more prone to flushing? It does take some time to go away, at least an hour. DS's cheeks feel hot to the touch. They are otherwise fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now