Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

All of you who CHOOSE not to vaccinate your children

(659 Posts)

Do you realise that's the reason why there's now an epidemic of measles in Wales?

You know children with auto-immune problems, children with cancers, children with allergies that mean they can't be medicated, children who react badly to drugs?
You know them? They're suffering because of you not wanting to vaccinate your child.

You have no medical reason for not vaccinating, but plenty of reasons TO vaccinate.

You are causing a whole generation of children to be endangered from a preventable disease.

Measles can be fatal
(that means it can kill )

why are so many people just coming on to say "pointless stirring" ?

I'm not stirring.
Stirring was the last thing from my mind when I posted.
If you don't have anything valuable to add to the argument, then please refrain form posting.

Farely - so far not, but vaccinated children can still get it.
They're just more likely to get a milder version and are less likely to get the complications.

HazardLamps Sat 13-Apr-13 15:39:17

Please try not to tell adults members of a public forum to refrain from posting. It doesn't work like that.

That your thread is considered by some posters to be pointless stirring is a valid response, regardless of whether or not you consider it valuable.

I agree.

I have immuno compromised family members and this worries me.

The other week before all this came out my DS had suspected measles, even with the rash etc they said it couldn't be because he is vaccinated but the panic once they realised that I am pg!

It was quite scary.

daisymama Sat 13-Apr-13 15:40:48

Please read my blog post about this - I was left deaf in one ear from measles and my immunosuppressed daughter is left at risk - please get your child vaccinated, Wakefield was wrong - end of

www.wasthisintheplan.com/2013/04/why-vaccination-is-no-brainer-for-me.html

seeker Sat 13-Apr-13 15:43:37

Good post, OP.

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 15:45:16

Don't you just love MN
So far this week I have been told:

I'm letting other women down by not going back to work full time.
How I should and shouldn't spend my money
....... and now this.

HazardLamps Sat 13-Apr-13 15:47:31

Wow, rubyrubyruby. If you'd been told all that (and this) by your husband all MN would be telling you he's a control freak and advising that you leave the bastard. wink

Ruby I have no idea why you were told those other things, that doesn't seem right.

Choosing not to vaccinate should always be challenged though as it is a decision that doesn't only affect the child who isn't having the jabs, it has the potential to put others in extreme danger.

Hazard - you're right, but it just seems like such a waste of posting space, when they could back it up as to why they think I'm pointlessly stirring (especially as I had already pointed out that I am not stirring)

ruby - I don't mind whether you work or not. I personally think it's better for the family for everyone to do what's right - a miserable SAHP is just as bad as a miserable WOHP.
I think you sdhould spend your money how you see fit within your means.
I think that everybody has a responsibility to make sure their children are vaccinated, so that there is adequate protection for those who can't be. (in much the same way as the NHS provides healthcare for all, even those who don't pay into the system and it's there even when there are people that never use it)

and everything that Schro said.

seeker Sat 13-Apr-13 15:50:07

Good post, OP.

(but you should buy books. preferably from your local bookseller)
wink

infamouspoo Sat 13-Apr-13 15:52:21

why is it your business OP? My dd cannot be vaccinated for MEDICAL reasons. I wouldnt dream of telling other people what to do regarding vaccination or insist they make their child undergo a medical procedure for the benefit of mine.

mummysmellsofsick Sat 13-Apr-13 15:56:10

What a judgemental OP. I don't think anyone takes decisions like vaccination lightly, without regard for others. After all, non vaxers are more at risk from lower herd immunity than most people are. Please remember that people have reasons for the decisions they make that you might be unaware of.

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 15:56:14

unique I had my 3 youngest children within 18 months of each other. This was at a time when the MMR scare was at its height and doubts and emotions were running high. I chose not to vaccinate.

Forward on 10 years and the medical evidence was scrutinised more, my children were older and stronger so they all had the MMR. I was staggered how ill 2 of them were after. Listless, stiff necks and generally very unwell. I was so glad I had decided against vaccination at 14 months tbh.

HazardLamps Sat 13-Apr-13 15:56:24

And that ^ ^ from infamouspoo is the crux of the matter, isn't it? No-one can give a convincing reason why a parent should consider the health and welfare of somebody else's child to be more important than the wellbeing of their own.

seeker Sat 13-Apr-13 15:58:16

Of course there are children who cannot, for sound medical reasons, be vaccinated. But that is all the more reason why the rest of us should vaccinate- to create the herd immunity necessary to protect them.

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 15:58:20

....... and I didn't even have the choice to pay for single measles jabs.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 13-Apr-13 16:00:20

I chose to single vax dc because I fear for my children as I think they are in a minority (family history of auto immune issues) where they more vulnerable to side effects.

It is impossible to get nuanced info on degree of risk to individual children as the NHS is not set up to do that.

If I didn't have the money to single vax then the dc might be unvaccinated now.

They should never have done away with the single vax - they have brought this on themselves.

Agree with OP.

seeker Sat 13-Apr-13 16:01:40

" No-one can give a convincing reason why a parent should consider the health and welfare of somebody else's child to be more important than the wellbeing of their own."

Because a) I consider my children feeling a bit poorly for a day or so to be worth it to protect others who might actually die if they catch whatever it is.

And
b) my child might be one of the few who get hideous complications from measles or mumps, and being a bit unwell for a day or so to be worth it to protect them from that risk.

mummy - the only reason I will accept as reasonable is the medical one.

The MMR scare was bollocks, unsubstantiated and very quickly denounced.
the scare the jabs lasted a lot longer than the report itself.

seeker Sat 13-Apr-13 16:03:24

Oh, and when people say they want more information from HCPs, I suspect what they mean is they want to be told that the vaccine is 100% risk free. Which it isn't- nothing is. So they won't be told it is.

infamouspoo - i think if you read my OP and all my other posts, you will find that I have actually listed that people who an't be vaccinated for medical reasons are at risk from those who choose not to do it.

FFS, I've started a whole fucking thread to support you and your family and you've just slagged my off about it.
hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now