Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

All of you who CHOOSE not to vaccinate your children

(659 Posts)

Do you realise that's the reason why there's now an epidemic of measles in Wales?

You know children with auto-immune problems, children with cancers, children with allergies that mean they can't be medicated, children who react badly to drugs?
You know them? They're suffering because of you not wanting to vaccinate your child.

You have no medical reason for not vaccinating, but plenty of reasons TO vaccinate.

You are causing a whole generation of children to be endangered from a preventable disease.

Measles can be fatal
(that means it can kill )

lljkk Sat 13-Apr-13 10:37:23

Pointless Stirring.

SoupDragon Sat 13-Apr-13 10:41:38

Gosh, is that what fatal means? I never knew hmm

I agree - pointless stirring.

Theicingontop Sat 13-Apr-13 11:51:29

hmm

It's not pointless stirring, and you know it's not.

the reason I put what fatal means is because I think a lot of people who choose not to vaccinate seem not to realize how fucking serious it is!

cause and effect

that's what this is.

It's not just "children dying in the Victorian era that doesn't happen any more"

this is proof that it does still happen, and that vaccinating your children is what protects your children and other children from diseases that are preventable.

Why should you allow children to suffer because you think that vaccinations are all a bit of mumbo jumbo?

Elibean Sat 13-Apr-13 13:43:09

U&A, I'm just wondering if you've been personally affected in some way by the measles outbreak?

Not a comment on your posts, or the responses thus far, but just wondered. I hope not, obviously.

AnyaKnowIt Sat 13-Apr-13 13:44:57

Well said OP

no, I haven't.
I just feel strongly about it.

Mainly because I don't want anyone I know to suffer from it.

I think people also don't realize that you can still get measles even if you have been vaccinated, just obviously not as bad.
But that if you do, you could easily affect a tiny baby or a person who hasn't been vaccinated for medical reasons.

TaggieCampbellBlack Sat 13-Apr-13 13:58:30

Pointless stirring and bollocks.

Succubi Sat 13-Apr-13 14:05:07

YANBU. Unless their is a medical reason not to vaccinate then its just plain stupidity. The minute anyone says the name Andrew Wakefield to me I just want to scream out loud.

As far as I am concerned, it should be a pre-requisite of starting nursery/school that you are up-to-date with your vaccinations failing which that child should be refused entry. The only exemption to entry should be a medical exemption.

OP very well said.

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Apr-13 14:16:09

Every parent does what they believe is best for their own child.

I vaccinated my DC against measles because I thought it was best for them. I did not consider any one elses child in my decision.

Now, if I knew for certain everybody else on the planet was vaccinated against measles, I may not have bothered......wink

bamboostalks Sat 13-Apr-13 14:18:05

Agree with OP.

narmada Sat 13-Apr-13 14:19:58

Agree OP. Why is it ok not to consider other people's children?

LouLouH Sat 13-Apr-13 14:26:12

Agree with OP.
Both my children are up to date on all vaccines and I will not look after any child that is not up to date on all of them. (I'm a childminder).

Guitargirl Sat 13-Apr-13 14:26:33

I don't think it's pointless stirring.

Some people need things to be pointed out in words of one syllable.

I would include in that category those who rely on everyone else to vaccinate their own children so that their unvaccinated children can rely on the herd immunity. So much for the herd immunity now sad. Because of the poor uninformed choices of some parents, those children who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons are now at risk.

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 14:27:01

Generally people choose not to vaccinate NOT because they can't be arsed, but because they are afraid of the potential impact on their own child's wellbeing.

And until the authorities are a bit more transparent and a little less script led in this regard then the situation will continue.

Infighting between those of us who think vacs are the way to go and those of us who are scared of them, is not the answer

HTH

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 14:27:47

and I do vaccinate

Succubi Sat 13-Apr-13 14:28:54

Well quite frankly those that are scared of them need to grow a pair.

MandragoraWurzelstock Sat 13-Apr-13 14:37:05

No, they need accurate, reliable reassurance and just try getting that from a GP or HV

It is possible to get the reassurance if you ask.

They also need to know why it's important that so big a percentage of children are vaccinated.

I really do think that far too many people worry too much about their own child immediately and not about how their actions not only impact on all other children, but also on their own child, should they come into contact with someone who has one of the diseases they haven't been vaccinated against - they don't know how their own child migth react to the disease.

what would happen if a deliberately-not-medical-related-non-vaccinated child was one of the ones that had complications after contracting measles? How guilty would the parent feel then?

givemeaclue Sat 13-Apr-13 15:08:48

Agree op

hermioneweasley Sat 13-Apr-13 15:12:57

Agree OP

FarelyKnuts Sat 13-Apr-13 15:27:00

Correct me if I am wrong but is the outbreak not affecting vaccinated children?

HazardLamps Sat 13-Apr-13 15:31:46

Pointless stirring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now