Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 year old son still frequently bed wetting

(34 Posts)
Whereisegg Sun 07-Apr-13 22:43:54

At 4 our son was diagnosed with sleep apnea which gp associated with his almost nightly bed wetting saying his brain would rather concentrate on restarting his breathing than waking him to pee.
In nov 2012 he had tonsils & adenoids removed, apnea cured!
For a week he was dry, but now as bad as ever.
We have tried everything ( limiting fluids, loo before bed, taking him at night at both a set time then at random times) and wondering if he is past the age where he can learn to wake to pee without help.
Would a dr help him?
Even be nice to know we are not alone!

Whereisegg Mon 08-Apr-13 10:17:06

He doesn't want to wear nappies or pull ups and gets upset at the mention of them.
We even tried calling them different things 'night time pants' for example but this only persuaded him for a short while.
Just to be clear, this is not occasional bed wetting, it is rare to have one dry night a week, and sometimes will wet twice the same night.
I'm not trying to come across as moaning.
We never mention it to him, just quietly and quickly strip and sort the bed and him, we certainly aren't under the impression that he's going to bed thinking 'it would be really fun to be woken up covered in cold urine tonight' but, as some of you have said, people don't/won't discuss it after their children are past toddler hood so it has been some relief to hear stories from you.
I think my next course of action will be to source and purchase some bed pads.
Thank you all xx

AMumGoingMad Mon 08-Apr-13 12:58:27

The puppy training pads are cheaper and the same size as the disposable bed pads. We use "big boy pants" aka pull ups with our ds who is nearly 7. He's quite happy with them though and is not bothered that he's wet so we've not asked for a referal as we don't want to make a deal out of it with him when he doesn't have an issue with it. Plus he was late becoming dry in the day so I figured he'll probably be late becoming dry at night as well.

Whereisegg Mon 08-Apr-13 16:32:47

Thanks for the heads up on the puppy pads!

Foundapound Tue 09-Apr-13 11:42:25

I think it's something like 1 or 3 in 30 kids are later than 6 for night time dryness. So one in every class. My daughter is wet every single night too. I've read the thing about it being down to a hormone production, as Jenny70 says, and some kids are just later in starting it.

Remember when they wee, it's body temperature, so they don't feel it as cold at the time.

Honestly, we're not stressed about it at all, just a bit embarrassing for her when she went to Rainbows and her 1 year older sister told everyone else... could have slaughtered her! We had discussed how she could put pullup on without everyone knowing, and how to dispose of in morning. She'll get there eventually. And so will your ds.

Whereisegg Wed 10-Apr-13 09:42:12

That's our worry!
It's of no real consequence to us here at home, but the thought of sleepovers here or elsewhere are just so stressful!

SizzleSazz Wed 10-Apr-13 09:48:03

Dd1 is 6.5 and just getting there from daily wetting to c.once a week. She was happy to use sleepy pants until more reliable.

We use te hippychick mats which are really soft and wash and tumble really well. If you need a few for layering, buy a large flat one and cut it up.

SizzleSazz Wed 10-Apr-13 09:49:07

Dd takes her sleepy pants to sleepovers and is happy with that but more tricky if your DS is against them sad

5yo dd1 here still in pull ups (we never call them nappies, they're what dd2 wears). Sometimes I worry about it but mostly we don't.

We did have a hairy moment when we had a friend for a sleepover and dd1 asked where her pull up was. The friend looked at her like hmm and I had everything crossed that the friend wouldn't say anything more but luckily she didn't. DD1 isn't bothered yet and I don't want her to be.

kanecarter Thu 11-Apr-13 09:33:23

My son is 3 1/2 and just mastered the potty. We give him something to drink an hour before he goes to bed but we also make sure he uses the potty before he goes to sleep. Make sure they are in pull ups or a diaper when they go to bed. Good luck and hang in there. Boys are harder than girls to potty train. I have one of each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now