Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS eating barely anything

(5 Posts)
LadyVoldemort Tue 02-Apr-13 15:12:09

Ds is nearly 3, he's recently had a little tummy bug that lasted a couple of days and then over the last few days he's had a bit of a cold but that seems to be on its way out now.
He's quite a chunky boy and has always had a healthy appetite but now he's hardly touching his food and its worrying me a bit.

On average he is having half - 1 weetabix with milk for breakfast, half a bag of crisps for lunch and a couple of bites of pasta for tea. He's turning his nose up at nearly everything I give him, even his old favourites.

What would you do? How can I encourage him to eat more?

mrsXsweet Tue 02-Apr-13 16:53:33

I don't know but my dd is exactly the same. She has been ill since Thursday, didn't eat anything Friday or Saturday. Ate a new potato and an oatcake on Sunday and half a bowl of ready brek and 2 prawns y'day. She has rejected milk, fruit shoots, chocolate and jelly so she must be feeling rough!
I think u just need to keep doing what u r doing and keep offering food, especially favourite things and his appetite will pick back up. I just wish I lost my appetite when I felt poorly!

Sirzy Tue 02-Apr-13 17:26:56

I would leave him, he will start eating when he is ready just keep offering the food - little and often is normally best - and he will soon start to eat again

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Apr-13 19:34:45

Dd was like this last week - ill for 5 days then better but didn't eat like she normally would for another 5 days at least.

Just offer food and leave him to it, hard as that is! Offer lots of fluids too.

LadyVoldemort Tue 02-Apr-13 21:37:45

Thanks for the advice smile like I say he's always been a good eater so never had to deal with this, wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

I think I've caught his most recent bug and tbh I don't have much appetite either. Will see how he goes for the next few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now