Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Colic or constipation

(5 Posts)
KKeeble Mon 01-Apr-13 12:43:13

My 4 week old baby girl has been really distressed the last week, crying and cramping up. Mainly after feeds and just lately really bad through the night. I spoke to my health visitor a week ago and he said it could be constipation so have been giving her some water to loosen her stole and she is on formula so have been doing 2 liquid formulas a day and 4 with powder formula. But unfortunately it hasn't helped and she still is only pooing every 2 to 3 days. Does anyone know of anything else which can help her? Does this sound like colic? Does anyone know anything which helps with colic? I give infacol with every feed too.

Katherine

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 01-Apr-13 12:53:54

Is her poo actually hard and dry?

Pooing every few days may just be her pattern. You could try massaging her tummy in a clockwise direction, also moving her legs as tho she is riding a bike and sort of pressing her legs into her tummy.

Best bet is look.up baby massage on youtube to get an idea. You need to be firm.but gentle with tummy massage and always go clockwise.

A warm.bath might help as well.

If its colic she will.just grow out of it. Maybw try a sling?

Some people find changing formula helps but they are all.much of a muchness, you can get 'comfort' formula but i dont know what the difference is.

KKeeble Mon 01-Apr-13 14:14:25

Thank you, her poo isnt dry but not running like a plat. And kind of a greeny colour but I think that's just the formula. We tried the comfort formula but didn't find that it helped so went back to the sma infant one. I will look up the massages you suggested. Also going on a baby massage course but doesn't start till 18th April!

Thanks for the advise
Katherine

narmada Mon 01-Apr-13 23:04:31

Drawing legs up is a kind of instinctive thing babies do when they cry - it doesn't necessarily indicate cramps or discomfort.

However... you are her mum and know her best. If you think she is in discomfort or pain, and that it's feed-related, then you might want to look into it further. One possibility is that she's eating too much in one sitting. How much formula is she having in one go? 6 feeds per day (if I understand you right) is not many for a baby of 4 weeks old. Most fare far better with a little and often approach. Some babies continue glugging away at the bottle after they're actually full because they like to suck and can't do so without drawing down milk too. IN which case, a dummy might be your answer.

Alternatively, She may, just may, have an intolerance to cow's milk protein (not lactose) but you would probably expect other symptoms with this too. Is there any family history of allergy? There are special formulas available where the milk proteins are broken down (hydrolysed formulas) and these may be worth a try. You can either buy them in boots on special order (£££) or get them on prescription but your GP may be reluctant to prescribe.

It could just be normal 'colicky' behaviour - IME this is usually worse in the evenings, and cranks up majorly around the 6 week mark, before gradually subsiding. Many babies (mine included) don't sleep well after about 3-4 am for some reason, crying out, wriggling, and waking frequently.

I hope you get some relief soon. It's horrible watching them upset.

narmada Mon 01-Apr-13 23:06:16

PS WRT to the constipation theory, I think this is unlikely unless she is producing hard, formed stools (look like little pebbles or rabbit droppings usually). Could be, not saying it's definitely not, but probably unlikely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now