Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Drs/nurses what could cause.....

(36 Posts)

Constant glare ups of a staph infection. Background: dd1 and dd 2 both had what gp diagnosed as a fungal infection a few weeks back. Was given creams and dd1 had to have some ABs. Dr prescribed flucoxicillin as dd1s was infected. Dd2 cleared up no problem!

Dd1 continued to have lesions developing , some were going as she completed the course but one kept getting bigger do trip back to gp.

He swabbed, suspected either a staph/strep infection and gave Augmentin. It had some other ingredient an acid beginning with C.

Took that and all seemed to clear up. Last week i tool her to drs with sore eye.dr diagnosed belepharitis. Got cream And it cleared up. Past couple of days dd1 has had a sore nose, the bit between the nostrils.Been applying Vaseline and savlon but its spreading and now she's developed a blister on her nose under her bottom lip and there r patches which could indicate beginning of more sad. So it's back sad

What the hell can be causing this?

So it's likely to happen again then? sad

I do hope not but yes it is a possibility

Well she's got another round of ABs gotta go back to drs if it happens again. I just don't understand it. Nothing's changed at home recently with regards to any exposure she has or we have had. I'm assuming its come from school as her sister isn't getting any of it. There must be somethin she's touching/playing with that's causing it. Not that it matters I guess , when u factor in all the children in two classes plus all the siblings they have you double/treble the amount of people she's in direct/indirect contact with . it's just going to keep flaring up til We manage to boost her up enough to fight it off. Guess this Easter holiday is the perfect opportunity to feed her up and get her back to full strength.

unlucky83 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:35:59

If she gets any more - or maybe just anyway if you are worried - go back to the doctor (perhaps OOH or busy first surgery after hols isn't the best) and say you are worried and make a bit of a fuss...ask for advice what you can do about stopping it re-occurring...

I will be heading back. There must be something they can do. I forgot to ask if she's ok to mix with other children. If I put a plaster over her nose do u think it would be ok to go to a birthday party?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Apr-13 13:58:51

The most common bacteria is staph aureus and the strain that animals carry is not the strain that affects people. Human to human spread is common animal to human spread has only been documented where the human has an immune condition such as AIDS. Human to animal spread is more common than animal to human. I did a lot of research on this after one of my animal patients contracted a type of staph that had only previously been recorded in the ICU at camp bastion in Afghanistan.

That's really interesting lonecat was the animal ok? smile

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Apr-13 16:24:58

Yes as regardless of how weird the bug is we always do a sensitivity so once the correct antibiotic was on board all was fine. It is just a bug bear of mine that GPs blythly blame animals when in fact in most commonly the bugs go from the human to the pet - one classic example was a GP blaming the new puppy for the salmonella when the puppy arrived 5 days after the diarrhoea started!

Luckily no ones mentioned pets with dd. I got the rabbits checked when dds got the fungal as it was after they had handled the buns and I wanted to check the girls hadn't passed it on. Last thing I wanted was bunnies sore and itchy with ringworm.

My first thought is always school but I don't blame anyone, these things happen. First signs of Many things are easily dismissed as nothing, or something else.

That poor puppy. Most these bacteria are everywhere. Hygiene is key pets or no pets.

And even if there is pet/person-person/pet transmission no one intends it. You take care of the obvious-worms fleas etc but not everyone is aware of bacterias.

48 hours after stopping antibiotics DD's lips are weeping and crusting again sad Back on antibiotics.

sad that sounds painful stay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now