Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 12 - one huge tonsil

(8 Posts)
DisAstrophe Mon 01-Apr-13 21:17:23

ds has one tonsil bigger than the other. There are taking his tonsil out soon. Mainly because of the recurrent glue ear (despite having grommets before). But ds snoring and having one bigger tonsil than the other tipped the balance.

You probably should go the GP next week if you can - if only to put your mind at rest after googling.

anywinewilldo Sun 31-Mar-13 21:44:02

Thanks for your replies. I think the current sore throat is a red herring. It's better now and the tonsil which is enlarged has been like that for a while.

Anyone else had this investigated in their DD/DS?

crazynanna Sat 30-Mar-13 21:41:54

Hey Frankey the non-Londoner

Not bad You?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 30-Mar-13 21:28:04

Sorry to hear of your DD's illness.

I had something similar as a teenager, it was glandular fever.

FrankWippery Sat 30-Mar-13 21:26:37

My youngest DD (4) has grade 4 tonsils that touch each other. They're also pitted, yuck. Seeing ENT on Tuesday to sort out having them out as she suffers with sleep apnoea. They've never been infected, but as she has ongoing lung problems, it's one less thing to worry about.

Crazynanna - not seen you in aaaaaaages, how are you in that Norf London?

crazynanna Sat 30-Mar-13 21:20:38

My dd has one tonsil bigger than the other, and does get recurring tonsil infections (she's 14) The GP did notice the one big tonsil, but didn't seem too concerned.

No but I've had tonsilitis and I'm fairly sure they were even. Are there any little white dots over it? (for tonsilitis, not sure if you get them with anything else).

Sounds like it would be worth a trip to the GP sometime soon, or sooner if she's struggling to swallow / breathe.

How does she feel otherwise?

anywinewilldo Sat 30-Mar-13 15:15:56

Just that really. It touches the uvula in the middle. I can barely see the other tonsil. I've googled and am now panicking about lymphoma. I think they have been asymmetrical for a while, but I can't remember it being this big.

She has also had a sore throat this week, only on the side of the enlarged tonsil.

Anyone had similar experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now