Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scarlet fever

(4 Posts)
NotTreadingGrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 10:08:35

Fingers crossed it is just a virus. x

phantomhairpuller Sat 30-Mar-13 10:08:01

Am currently 'in a queue' with NHS 111, have been for past 15mins hmm
Thanks

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 10:04:05

Check his tongue. Scarletina (which IIRC when dd had it is how SF manifests these days) gives children a gloopy almost white yoghurty tongue and then a rash which is more like a big stain.

(I spent 24 hrs scrubbing poor dd's tongue with a toothbrush thinking she hadn't been brushing properly before I noticed the rash blush)

Not sure about exposure in late pregnancy. Maybe ring OOH and ask?

phantomhairpuller Sat 30-Mar-13 09:59:38

DS has been unwell for past few days, high temp, eczema flare up, chesty cough, snotty nose etc. took him to GP on Wednesday, they said it was a virus (surprise surprise!)
Have just had message from CM to say that another of her children has been diagnosed with scarlet fever. She then added that DS doesn't actually come into contact with this child as they attend on different days but she said that if DS has been unwell, I should get him checked by OOH because I'm 8months pregnant and might be at risk myself?
What do you wise MNers think? Surely if DS has not not actually been in contact with the child there isn't much of a risk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now