Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Day five of fever, what do I do?

(24 Posts)
pipsqueakz Sat 06-Apr-13 12:13:57

How's little one getting on with the tonsillitis?

badweekend Sun 31-Mar-13 18:56:33

Thank you

pipsqueakz Sat 30-Mar-13 21:58:49

Ah glad u have a diagnosis hope it works OK bet your mind is at ease a little take care

badweekend Sat 30-Mar-13 15:42:58

Update: OOH doc says tonsilitis. At least explains six-day fever, if not the rest of five-week illness. Very happy to have diagnosis and hoping antibiotics will make her well soon.
Thanks for all your replies x

badweekend Sat 30-Mar-13 13:30:01

She still has high temp (39.5, after Calpol) and DH is taking her to OOH GP now. Complaining occasionally of pain in botton/lower back but doctors couldn't find a cause so far. Will look up kawasaki disease, have never heard of it.
Hope your DS all better now!

craziedaisy Sat 30-Mar-13 12:00:25

He complained of ear ache and sore throat but doctor didn't think looked too bad. We had antibiotics but after 5 days he still had temp so knew it wasn't bacterial. Has your daughter any other symptoms? What is her temp like now? I was worried about kawasaki disease but doctor didn't think it was that.

badweekend Sat 30-Mar-13 11:09:19

craisiedaisy did your DS have symptoms other than fever?

badweekend Sat 30-Mar-13 11:08:10

She is still ill with a fever and very miserable. Waiting for a call back from out of hours GP now; phoned them more than an hour ago.

craziedaisy Sat 30-Mar-13 09:40:30

How is little one today. My ds had a horrible virus for 9 days recently. He was seen by gp twice and they decided it was just a virus. He had nurofen for longer than 3 days i think it just means that you shouldn't give for longer than 3 days without seeing gp.

anonymosity Fri 29-Mar-13 23:37:25

Go to the doctor. Over 3 to 4 days of consistent fever often means infection of some kind and best to get it treated asap. (NHS direct pretty useless in these circs in my honest opinion...)

pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 22:52:18

Feel for u I have ds same age have my sympathies

pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 22:50:46

Runny nose is good. Body getting rid of mucus and it isn't settling on the chest is good. Hope u get some rest. Its rotten when kids are poorly little sips of drink frequently try keep up the fluids. We will await ur update.

badweekend Fri 29-Mar-13 22:46:25

Thank you so much. Will let you know how we get on tomorrow because unless fever completely disappears overnight we will be going back to a&e in the morning.

Runny nose but no cough. She is 12.5kg which I think is normal or perhaps bit light for her age.

BeaWheesht Fri 29-Mar-13 22:24:17

Has she a cough? Sometimes a lung infection can't be heard with a stethoscope?

Also is she big for her age? She may need a weight based dosage of med for fever. However, regardless of that I'd get her seen as its been going on so long .

pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 22:19:09

And when u go back to hospital if your not happy with diagnosis don't leave. Ask for second opinion.

pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 22:15:39

Let us know how you get on and if u need a vent you know where we are! Hugs to u and lil un.

badweekend Fri 29-Mar-13 22:07:25

Thank you for all your replies. She has had four urine sampes taken in past six weeks and they don't think it's that. She was treated (antibiotics) for a urinary infection as third sample grew e.coli in lab (but clean on dip stick test). But A&E docs said afterwards they thought that sample was contaminated though and that she may never have had that infection in first place. On day 5 of antibiotics she started vomiting and needed 2 day stay in hospital for rehydration (this was last week).


pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 22:00:30

Hospital will have it all on record regarding frequent admissions and would more than likely look outside the box now. Would certainly go back asap. Take care.

Bunbaker Fri 29-Mar-13 21:52:44

Did they take a urine sample? DD used to get ferociously high temperatures with urine infections. I would ring OOH and take a urine sample alomg to be tested. Urine infections don't go away on their own and have serious implications if left untreated.

badweekend Fri 29-Mar-13 21:45:32

Wow, no she hasn't had chicken pox and I hadn't considered that, thank you.

On Tuesday a&e gave us a leaflet saying if a fever persisted for more than five days to seek further medical advice so I think will wait till morning and take her back to a&e. Thank you.

Skygirls Fri 29-Mar-13 21:32:29

I would take her to A&E as they do more extensive tests. It's a bit of a long time with no reduction in the fever IMO.

Just a thought though, my ds had a temp of 38-39 for 6 days. Temp would go down with calpol/neurofen but would always come back. He showed no other symptoms of being ill. Then on the Saturday (6th day) he came up in chicken pox.

Has your dd had cp yet? If not, it could be, but I'd still take her to A&E and not wait til Tuesday.
Hope she starts feeling better soon and you get some answers.

badweekend Fri 29-Mar-13 21:32:23

I sort of agree but I know they will tell us to go to a&e (as they usually/often do with young children). Having been to a&e 3 times in past six weeks I know docs will find nothing obviously wrong and say it's a virus. I feel like this is going to last forever with no-one able to help her sad

pipsqueakz Fri 29-Mar-13 21:28:29

I would call NHS direct. Better to be safe than sorry.

badweekend Fri 29-Mar-13 21:26:00

DD (2.8) has had a temperature since Monday, going up to 39.2 according to our home thermometer. We took her to A&E on Tuesday on advice of GP as Calpol wasn't doing much and she has been sick almost the whole time for six weeks now (I posted another thread about this).

Iuprofen helping more than paracetamol but she has had three days of it which the bottle says is the maximum. She is very pset when her temp gets high, irritable, tearful, not herself. She is barely eating (drinking lots though) and has lost weight. Do I take her back to the hospital tomorrow or wait till Tuesday for GP, by which point it will have been 8 days of fever? I feel something is really wrong but the doctors all say it's viral.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now