Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anyone help? 2.8 yr-old ill for 5 weeks

(24 Posts)
Badvoc Tue 26-Mar-13 15:29:15

Yes, sleep is good smile

badweekend Tue 26-Mar-13 14:17:37

She was definitely unwell with it - she is sleeping now which will hopefully help her a bit.

Badvoc Tue 26-Mar-13 13:01:57

It depends on age really.
Under 6 months then yes anything over 38 is high.
But for older dc, they often don't feel too ill, even with a temp of 38...
I would only keep giving calpol if she is unhappy/ill with the temp.
I tend to only give calpol for fevers over 38.5

badweekend Tue 26-Mar-13 12:54:48

That's good to know actually. I thought 38 was really high but reassuring if it's actually not too bad. Thank you again x

Badvoc Tue 26-Mar-13 12:48:29

Ah, poor thing. It's so hard when they are ill.
On the plus side (clutching straws) it's not really really high...
If her temp goes above 39.5 then I would take her back x

badweekend Tue 26-Mar-13 12:37:49

Not great. Fever of 38.1, which is going down with Calpol but then up again few hours later. She's had two calpols today so far, 7.30 and just now.
Thank you for asking.

Badvoc Tue 26-Mar-13 12:23:54

How is she op?

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 19:26:12

.....and yes, I do know what you mean!
At times this month, I have felt like we will never all be well again!

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 19:25:29

At the end of the day, you are her mum.
You know her best.
If you are still worried take her back.
My son is still not 100% sad but he has had a chest x ray and its clear. His chest sounds clear. He has no fever (today at least!) and he is eating, albeit not as much as usual.
He has had ABs and steriods.
There is nothing else they can do unless he gets new/worsening symptoms.
I am just hoping that the Easter break gives him a rest from all the germs and he can get better.
It's been his first year at pre school and he has caught pret much everything going! But I didn't think it would be this bad sad to be fair, though, this winter has been really bad wrt viral load...lots of kids with lingering viral and respitory illnesses.
I hope your dd feels better soon.
It's hard when you are so worried x

badweekend Mon 25-Mar-13 19:17:46

badvoc How is your DS doing now? Hope he is much better.

Not sure what I expect the hospital to do really. It just seems now like if I don't do something she will be like this forever, irrational, I know.

survival no history of anything at all. She has been very healthy till now. I don't think it is this but I will keep it in mind as who knows? Thank you. Hope your DS is ok now you know what it was.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Mon 25-Mar-13 19:09:34

By the way, have you rung to check the last blood tests were normal? I've experienced them telling me 'everything's well if you don't hear back', only to find there had been a mistake. In this case, it's not worth the risk.

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 19:03:58

My son has been the same op.
Some days he seems fine, back to normal and then wham!
Take last Monday...he went to pre school as usual, no issues.
By 2pm was burning up with fever, complaining of headache, leg ache and refusing food (very unlike him!)
Then by midnight was coughing so badly the NHS direct lady heard him and sent a paramedic!!
It was croup.
He had to have steriods at hospital.
So I do understand how frustrating it is when you think they are getting better and then they regress.
But I dont see what else the hospital can do really, unless she gets new/worse symptoms?
Good luck x

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Mon 25-Mar-13 19:03:16

Does she have a history of reflux or any other possible indicators of an intolerance to milk, such as eczema? My son had similar symptoms at age 2 (without back pain) and was ill on and off for 6 months before we established he'd developed quite a severe intolerance. Looking back now, I believe he had it all the way along, but only became properly ill at that age. He would be sick for a day, fine for 3-4 days and then sick again. Became anaemic too in the end, which was when the medics realised I was not making it up!
Hope you get to the bottom of it all soon.

badweekend Mon 25-Mar-13 18:52:54

ohthisisjustgrape Thank you, I think maybe that is what we will end up doing anyway as she seems to be getting worse again. I really feel like they don't know what to do with us anymore as they just don't know what it is/think it's viral.
We have been referred for an ultrasound of her kidneys but they said they were almost sure not that as all bloods/urine clear.
It really is taking it out of her, yes, she just doesn't seem like the same child. But then some days, like yesterday, she has seemed almost fine. It's strange.

Tom I'm sorry your DD has been ill too and hope she's all better now.

TomDaleysTrunks Mon 25-Mar-13 17:53:15

My DD has had varying bugs since Christmas. Since Feb it's been pneumonia, viral infections and D&V. I think there's just a lot going round and I'd be reassured all the tests were normal. Hope she's better soon.

OhThisIsJustGrape Mon 25-Mar-13 17:49:08

I would say take her back to hospital. I'm sure the tests would've ruled anything sinister out but being ill for 5 weeks must be putting a real strain on her resources and if I were you I'd be wanting answers or at least every possible scenario looked into/ruled out.

You know your child best and if you're not convinced then ask for a second opinion.

Hope it is just a succession of bugs and that she is back to her normal self very soon - you must be exhausted especially with a new baby to contend with too.

FoodieToo Mon 25-Mar-13 16:00:59

I suppose if it persisted maybe return to a and e and maybe they would scan her back to put your mind at rest.

But yes it can be the case that small children express overall pain in a certain area,I think more due to lack of proper language skills than anything else.

They focus the discomfort on an area.

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 15:43:55

Well we have all had an awful virus...totally wiped me out for 3 days. Gp said it was flu and I had really bad pains in my back too.
I wonder if your dd has something similar?
Dh is the latest to get it in our house...the whole of march has been a total washout sad
My dc are off for easter now so we are having a very chilled out holiday!

badweekend Mon 25-Mar-13 15:16:54

Thank you - I guess I'm mainly worried as the pain in her bottom/back has been present pretty much throughout, but I understand this could maybe just be an expression of feeling generally unwell?

FoodieToo Mon 25-Mar-13 15:11:30

Ah probably just a series of bugs. They seem to catch everything at that age.

I hope she is better soon.

badweekend Mon 25-Mar-13 14:55:55

badvoc thank you for taking the time to reply and I'm sorry your DS has been so ill too. DD has been at a childminder since she was 18mths and goes to various playgroups etc but no, nothing new (other than the arrival of her baby brother at the end of last year!).
I will start her on vitamins and probiotics asap, it can only do her good - thank you!
Hope your DS is better after last week.

foodie No, fever has come and gone over 5 wk period and Calpol brings it down.

FoodieToo Mon 25-Mar-13 14:45:01

Is the fever constant?

Badvoc Mon 25-Mar-13 14:14:27

Oh I am sorry.
Your poor dd.
But I know how you feel...my ds2 has been continuously ill since before Xmas and was at hospital again last week (croup)
If she has had all to tests then it is unlikely to be anything sinister although that of course doesnt help her or you ATM!
Has she recently started nursery/pre school?
My ds2 has been ill pretty much constantly since he started las April.
I would suggest start I her on a .good probiotic as ABs can really affect the gut flora and cause stomach upset. (I use kidzprobio)
Also, perhaps think about a good multi vitamin?
Hope she feels better soon x

badweekend Mon 25-Mar-13 13:58:13

Sorry in advance if this is long and sorry for any typos as I am typing on phone.

I don't know what to do. My beautiful DD is sick but no-one can tell me what's wrong. It started 5 weeks ago with vomiting, aches and pains, fever and then diarreah (sp?). She was diagnosed with a chest infection, which I was slightly dubious about as she had not been coughing. Took antibiotics, but she started complaining again of pains in lower back. This time GP sent us to A&E, where the doctors did blood tests - they were slightly worried about white blood cell count so did repeat bloods six days later which as far as we know were normal. They were ruling out leukaemia.

A few days later, the back pain returns, this time GP diagnoses urinary infection.More antibiotics. Towards the end of the course, she starts vomiting and complaining of pains again, this was last Sunday. Called OOH GP who told us to go to A&E again. She was admitted for 2 days where they did more blood tests and urine tests and couldn't find anything. She continued to have fever, sickness and diarreah for about 4-5 days, even after we left hospital, and the doctors thought she had probably just caught a. succession of bugs. Saturday and Sunday she seemed much better, and now today, more fever and complaining of pain. She showed the hospital doctor where it was hurting, and although she says it's her back, it seems to be more her bottom.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? DD has gone from being a happy, healthy girl to being ill and irritable. Could it really just be a virus? Is am so so so worried and don't know what to do next. She has had Calpol and is sleeping now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now