Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Slap Cheek - how long off school?

(19 Posts)
unlucky83 Mon 01-Apr-13 12:45:37

When my DD had slapped cheek (the first in the school? or one of them at least) I kept her off for a few days on advice of health visitor - then it went round the school and we got a note home describing the symptoms and saying if they were otherwise well not to keep them off confused

Didn't realise implications for pregnant women - and felt I'd overreacted keeping her off... Small school maybe HT had checked none of staff were pregnant????

Coffee1Sugar Sun 31-Mar-13 20:26:55

PLEASE take note of the implications towards pregnant women. A lady in my NCT group lost her unborn baby when she contracted it and had to go through the trauma of an induced stillbirth sad

idiot55 Thu 28-Mar-13 21:11:29

Christmas there is confusion between the primary rash ( cheeks red) and the lacey secondary rash that appears a few days later, it is not infectious when the second rash appears but highly infectious when cheeks red.

ChristmasJubilee Tue 26-Mar-13 20:57:47

Once the rash has appeared it is no longer infectious so once you know they have it there is no point in keeping them off school.

idiot55 Tue 26-Mar-13 17:33:30

silver I urge you to research the danger of slapped cheek to pregnant women, and the catastrophic chances of it killing unborn babies at any stage of pregnancy.

Chickenpox is entirely different.

You are right about it being more infectious prior to symptoms however it is extremelly infectious even when symptoms arise.

My childs education is no where near as important as another womans pregnancy.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 26-Mar-13 11:47:31

I think if the condition is a risk to pregnant women then the dc should be kept off school and other places. I'm not saying it is by the way.
I know people have to go to work, but this is no reason to risk an unborn babies life

SilverBellsandCockleShells Tue 26-Mar-13 07:57:16

Obviously I wouldn't want that. But I can't live my life based on potential problems and 'what ifs'. Should we keep children off for two weeks when they have been exposed to chicken pox just on the off-chance that a member of staff 'might' be pregnant?

BeaWheesht Tue 26-Mar-13 07:35:37

Really silver? You'd be ok with someone losing their baby so you could go to work?

SilverBellsandCockleShells Tue 26-Mar-13 06:41:50

When my son had slapped cheek (which, incidentally, he's had about half a dozen times despite the information which suggests this cannot happen), the head teacher tried to argue that we should keep him off because one of the teachers 'might be pregnant'.

With the best will in the world, I can't compromise my child's education (not to mention my own work) when my child is perfectly capable of going to school on the basis of potential pregnancies among staff members. I suspect she would have been more at risk before the symptoms emerged.

idiot55 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:22:32

please check your school is ok with that, just thinking about pregnant women

CandyLoo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:33:20

That's a really useful link silverBells, thank you.
Back to school tomorrow then!
Thanks all.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 25-Mar-13 15:42:21

Mine were off for about a week as also had high temperature. On about 3rd day they were sick and could hardly stand. It can be quite nasty for some, others can be as right as rain.

Teachercreature Mon 25-Mar-13 15:39:29

Thanks SilverBells, useful link!

SilverBellsandCockleShells Mon 25-Mar-13 15:39:00
Teachercreature Mon 25-Mar-13 15:38:38

Can't find an official NHS link either but several places say once rash appears no longer infectious, including GOSH: http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-conditions/search-for-medical-conditions/slapped-cheek-disease/slapped-cheek-disease-information/

So sounds like you can send her back as soon as you feel she is well enough smile

SilverBellsandCockleShells Mon 25-Mar-13 15:38:03

Found it: http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

SilverBellsandCockleShells Mon 25-Mar-13 15:30:47

As far as I know there is no requirement to keep children off school at all with slapped cheek. When my son was four, he was sent home from school with it, but was absolutely fine apart from his cheeks. I googled the information and went in the next day armed with an official NHS guideline saying he didn't need to be off school. Unfortunately, I don't have the link any more.

Teachercreature Mon 25-Mar-13 15:12:15

According to this site, 1-4 days (once they've entered "third stage"): http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/encyclopaedia/s/article/slappedcheeksyndrome/

But it might be an idea to ring your school and check - sometimes they have a specific policy requiring set time off etc. Wish your DD well soon!

CandyLoo Mon 25-Mar-13 12:32:43

My DD has had bright red cheeks since yesterday and they're still there today. She's fine in herself, no temperature, no other rashes.
She's not at school today, just wondered if she's still contagious and how long I should keep her at home? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now