Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 7 yr old is very short what to feed him to make him grow

(53 Posts)
TheSerene Fri 22-Mar-13 11:05:28

Compared to all the other in his class am worried I don't feed him enough looking to enrich his food what food do you tall children like to eat ? It is now affecting his confidence feel so sorry for him

zumm Thu 28-Mar-13 19:22:58

bed I'm slightly concerned my son may be coeliac - may I ask: what were your son's symptoms (aside from lack of growth) - thanks for any feedback!

megandraper Mon 25-Mar-13 15:11:40

Haven't read whole thread so sorry if someone's mentioned it. But maybe consider a coeliac test? DS1 (age 5) grew only 1cm in the year before he was diagnosed, and 10 cm in the year after he went gluten-free...

narmada Sat 23-Mar-13 22:23:11

OP have you kept a record of his height over the years? I don't think absolute height is an issue as long as he is somewhere on the chart and as long as he is not plunging through the centiles - e.g., was 50th as a baby, slowly gone down over time to 2nd percentile or something like that.

TicTacSir Fri 22-Mar-13 21:13:20

Just be thankful for a healthy and happy DS!!!!!! Ignore all the anecdotal nonsense about 'taller=better/fitter/sportier/happier/more attractive' etc. It's bollocks. It takes all sorts to make a world. Who wants to be average, anyway?

colditz Fri 22-Mar-13 21:01:09

Being taller than their peers makes hidden better at sports tab. Their peers, and therefore more likely to continue playing and succeed

Bunbaker Fri 22-Mar-13 20:48:39

"5ft 2 and 5 ft 8 so average"

The average height for a man in the UK is 5'9" and a woman is 5'4", so your son is unlikely to attain average height.

How tall is he?

If he really is 12" shorter than his peers I think a visit to the GP to rule out coeliacs or any other issues is needed.

nagynolonger Fri 22-Mar-13 20:27:26

You would think so but if anything we have shorter to average grandparents and grt grandparents.

I'm sure sport/exercise does make a difference to a girls height. Girls who do lots of sport tend to start periods later.

chartreuse Fri 22-Mar-13 20:27:20

That's what we were told clam, my short GF passed on his height gene to ds

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 20:18:50

A baby's genes will not just be from its two parents, but also from previous generations, surely?

lljkk Netherlands Fri 22-Mar-13 20:15:25

Actually, I am pretty sure that overfeeding does make them taller, I've known too many cases of very fat kids who also became very tall for age. I'm convinced the over-nourishment became a factor in their height.

But it's a risky strategy, could be lumbered with being fat for life.

nagynolonger Fri 22-Mar-13 20:10:39

If the OP is worried she should talk to GP or the school nurse. I'm not sure what happens now but my DC all had their height and weight checked in primary school.

nagynolonger Fri 22-Mar-13 20:04:25

So if it's all genes how did DH and me produce a 6'4'' son. He wasn't a big baby and was only average height until he shot up at 13.

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 19:50:16

So, we have theories of feeding them up to make them taller, a dose of "summer" and now signing them up for tennis lessons.

What is this, the "make it up as you go along" school of science? hmm

MousyMouse Fri 22-Mar-13 19:36:03

the 'measure at 2 & double' worked out pretty accurately with some of my male relatives.
but I guess it is just a good guide and not really acurate/scientifically proven.
there are a number of measurements that can be taken. like x-rays of wrists, blood tests.

nagynolonger Fri 22-Mar-13 18:55:54

All 3 are very active. Does doing sport make DC taller?

nagynolonger Fri 22-Mar-13 18:53:32

I'm sure genes are responsible for height but something else must be involved.

DH is 5'10 and I'm 5'4. I thought that was about average.

DS 19 year old is 6'1
DS 17 year old is 6'4
DS 16 year old is 5'9.
They might still have more growing to do.

FWIW I have found that mine had their biggest growth spurt between school years 9 and 10.

Booyhoo Fri 22-Mar-13 18:25:42

i can neither confirm or deny that. wink

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 18:24:21

Aha! It's as I thought. bollocks. grin

Booyhoo Fri 22-Mar-13 18:21:16

i would love to show you but it's classified wink

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Fri 22-Mar-13 18:18:39

diet won't help. To stunt a child's growth through diet would really be something! It's simply not likely in this country today.

you can't stimulate growth through diet either.

His genes will determine his height.

click here

and here

not sure how scientific they are, but they at least show that it is parents height that matters.

I did read something that you should double their height at 2 and that will be their adult height. Don't know if that's true or not. seems a bit odd to me.

clam Fri 22-Mar-13 18:18:34

I'd love to see a link to that research.
I've only ever heard anecdotal 'evidence' re: the summer, mainly from teachers who haven't seen their classes for 6 weeks. It's similar to grandparents and elderly relatives who like to proclaim how much kids have grown.

Sadly, no one ever said that to my ds. Until recently.

PointeShoes Fri 22-Mar-13 18:08:20

Bannanas

colditz Fri 22-Mar-13 18:01:42

You are both short, not average, so don't be surprised that your child is short. If he is genuinely the shortest seven year old by 30 centimetres, take him to the doctor, but I actually doubt it. What age trousers does he wear?

spottyparrot Fri 22-Mar-13 17:58:38

Op, my ds is the tallest in his entire year group. It's because me and dh are too. Ds eats very little, he is fussy!

nocake Fri 22-Mar-13 17:55:34

Kids don't shoot up over the summer. If anything their growth is likely to be faster in spring.

OP, you're both below average height so your DS has a double dose of short genes. That means he is likely to end up pretty short. There's no harm in getting a doc to check him over but don't be surprised if the answer is that he's perfectly healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now